PDA

View Full Version : AWD only operates for about 20 minutes then quits - ideas??

EastOfGratiot
12-24-2016, 01:23 PM
I have a 2005 XC70 with 145,000 miles on it. My AWD was not working at all until I replaced the stripped collar. Then I realized the AWD would only operate when I first started a drive with a cold vehicle. After a short time, sometimes just 5 minutes, the rear wheels stopped contributing on slippery surfaces. The AWD would always work again the next day for a short time. I replaced the temp/pressure sensor and the AWD SEEMED to work for a longer period of time (maybe 30 minutes) but then would become non functional again until the car was rested. The condition is very regular and predictable with no exceptions to the pattern. When I replaced the sensor the DEM looked very clean and the tiny drips of oil that came out from the sensor and valve appeared very clean. Is my issue a weak pump? What else could cause this intermittent problem?

Thanks for any advice or similar experiences you might have had..

The Landshark
12-24-2016, 04:30 PM
I had similar with my '06. the brushes on the pump motor were worn away.
You should be able to hear it running with the ignition on and the engine off.
Vida should tell you for sure.

EastOfGratiot
12-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info! It makes sense to me that a weak motor would cause the problem. I don't have VIDA. I'm kind of inclined to just jump in and replace the pump, filter and fluid and hope that's the fix.

hoonk
12-25-2016, 09:03 AM
before you spend $$$ on haldex parts you might look at

http://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/

to help you diagnose correctly

JRL
12-25-2016, 09:53 AM
CODES, pull the damn codes with VIDA!
How many times.....

If there are no codes it's probably because you only replaced the collar and not the angle gear itself
All the electrical parts will throw a code if bad.

EastOfGratiot
12-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks for weighing in with the advice guys!

I'm pretty sure it's not an angle gear issue since the AWD works so well after cold startup with no unusual noises or behaviors. I've been dreading getting a VIDA DICE + Windows 7 computer setup, but I agree that makes sense. Will it detect intermittent issues?

Please guide/confirm my path to VIDA DICE capability:

1) Laptop with 4 GB Ram, 40GB HD space and Windows 7 pro ...QUESTION: does it have to be the 32 bit version, or is 64 bit OK??
2) Any other computer requirements?
3) Any preferred sources for the VIDA DICE? ..they seem to all be 2014 software and are mostly priced between $75-$125

The Landshark
12-25-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm running vida 2010 because i find 2014 lighter on info for the older models, handiest way is to run it under vmware. theres an image file floating around with vmware and vida ready to go.

EastOfGratiot
12-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Thank you! Good to know! I'll look into that option....but more to learn about (never used vmware). I don't see any online options to purchase older VIDA versions (just 2014). If I didn't have this week off from work I'd be very frustrated with this. My good old OBD II scanner has always sufficed before I had this car.

JRL
12-26-2016, 08:41 AM
If it's an electronic issue, yes.
Then hidden codes will show along with how many times it happened

EastOfGratiot
12-26-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks JRL.
Excellent! I just made an online purchase of VIDA DICE and I'm deciding whether to buy Win 7 pro and install it in a Windows 10 laptop or find a good used Windows 7 pro laptop (so I don't have to re-install everything on my everyday laptop).

I didn't get any responses to my question whether Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system would be ok for 2014D software... anyone??
AND, another computer question:
Does the VIDA and/or DICE require the bootleg CD to be running in the laptop while the program is in use?? (My current laptop is an ultrabook that I have to plug an external CD/DVD drive into through USB).
Hopefully I'll be able to read my codes this weekend.

billr99
12-26-2016, 10:37 AM
I didn't get any responses to my question whether Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system would be ok for 2014D software... anyone??
AND, another computer question:
Does the VIDA and/or DICE require the bootleg CD to be running in the laptop while the program is in use?? (My current laptop is an ultrabook that I have to plug an external CD/DVD drive into through USB).

VIDA will run OK on a Win7 Ultimate setup. That is what I have my office install of VIDA running within a Win7 VM (VMWare Fusion). You may need to tweak the VIDA install script but I believe it will install fine on a Win 7 Pro without doing that. Check here and on Swedespeed for additional threads on the subject of installation.

VIDA is an installed app. Considering the somewhat hassle of installing VIDA, my experience (going on 5 years now) says it is the easiest and most useful to install it on a standalone laptop. Currently, but about to change, I have VIDA 2010 running on a 10 year old Dell Inspiron with 2G RAM, a 64G SSD and Win7 Ultimate. It isn't the quickest to boot or start VIDA, but it works perfectly for a workshop diagnostic device. That is, I'm not out much if the thing gets dropped out in the shop. Once my wife's new Macbook Pro arrives, I'll take her 6 year old Asus-based HackIntosh (6G RAM 500G drive) and rebuild it into a Win8 standalone box with the latest VIDA I can get to run on it. In both the current and planned case, VIDA will be the only installed app initially. Once that is up and running, it is easier then to install anything additional you might want. But you need to be careful that any additional apps or Win updates do not alter the the database software or the background supporting software like IE.

Good Luck,

Bill

EastOfGratiot
12-26-2016, 12:55 PM
VIDA will run OK on a Win7 Ultimate setup. That is what I have my office install of VIDA running within a Win7 VM (VMWare Fusion). You may need to tweak the VIDA install script but I believe it will install fine on a Win 7 Pro without doing that. Check here and on Swedespeed for additional threads on the subject of installation.

VIDA is an installed app. Considering the somewhat hassle of installing VIDA, my experience (going on 5 years now) says it is the easiest and most useful to install it on a standalone laptop. Currently, but about to change, I have VIDA 2010 running on a 10 year old Dell Inspiron with 2G RAM, a 64G SSD and Win7 Ultimate. It isn't the quickest to boot or start VIDA, but it works perfectly for a workshop diagnostic device. That is, I'm not out much if the thing gets dropped out in the shop. Once my wife's new Macbook Pro arrives, I'll take her 6 year old Asus-based HackIntosh (6G RAM 500G drive) and rebuild it into a Win8 standalone box with the latest VIDA I can get to run on it. In both the current and planned case, VIDA will be the only installed app initially. Once that is up and running, it is easier then to install anything additional you might want. But you need to be careful that any additional apps or Win updates do not alter the the database software or the background supporting software like IE.

Good Luck,

Bill

Thank you Bill! I think I'll look for an affordable older Win 7 Pro laptop to dedicate to this project.

hoonk
12-26-2016, 07:03 PM
whether to buy Win 7 pro and install it in a Windows 10 laptop or find a good used Windows 7 pro laptop

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system would be ok for 2014D software... anyone??

Does the VIDA require the bootleg CD to be running in the laptop

To run 2014D VIDA (not using a virtual machine or other non standard method) you must have a 7 pro 32 or 64 bit operating system

Up through 2010D VIDA will run on XP pro with less ram.

The VIDA program is copied to the hard drive, if installed by DVD, the DVD is no longer needed after installation.

EastOfGratiot
12-26-2016, 08:39 PM
To run 2014D VIDA (not using a virtual machine or other non standard method) you must have a 7 pro 32 or 64 bit operating system

Up through 2010D VIDA will run on XP pro with less ram.

The VIDA program is copied to the hard drive, if installed by DVD, the DVD is no longer needed after installation.

Thank you! I just bought a download + license of Win 7 Pro 64bit for my old Toshiba Ultrabook (no internal optical drive, 4 GB RAM, about 50 GB free on SSD). The software download is looking like it will take 24 hours! I found some great online videos of the 2014D install on Win 7 Pro and it looks pretty straightforward.

I also ordered a Haldex pump to have it ready in case (will return if VIDA tells me otherwise). Now I'm just waiting on deliveries (parcel & online)! I can't wait to get my AWD working full time. The car is amazing in the snow when it's working.

EastOfGratiot
12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
OK! I did a VIDA diagnosis and came back with a "DEM 0006 Feed pump. Faulty signal." It showed green during current operation cycle and RED (frequency medium) during previous operation cycles. Counter values showed the fault happened 398 times in the past 707 operation cycles. Initial readout values CEM voltage 12.5V, Solenoid current 11mA, pump current 72mA.

Replace the pump??

hoonk
01-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Now that you have VIDA working, follow the diagnostic procedure for that code in Vida - and as previously mentioned

"before you spend $$$ on haldex parts you might look at

http://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/"

to help you diagnose correctly.

EastOfGratiot
01-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Now that you have VIDA working, follow the diagnostic procedure for that code in Vida - and as previously mentioned

"before you spend $$$ on haldex parts you might look at

http://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/"

to help you diagnose correctly.

Thanks!...yes, the xemodex flow chart sends me right back to VIDA since I can communicate with the DEM.... All indications are pointing to the pump itself. I'm going to start a new thread with some questions I have about getting to the pump.