PDA

View Full Version : 2011 XC70 3.2 AWD will not start

Jim in Vancouver
12-15-2016, 09:53 PM
Never had any problems with my XC70. Tonight the car would not start. Lights all came on so assume battery is OK. An indicating icon on the dashboard left of the odometer appears to be an orange outline of an engine or transmission. When I put my foot on the brake it feels harder than normal with no depression of the brake peddle. When I tried to eject the key fob it would not eject and a message said to take my foot off the brake! Then it came out. No other Notifications on the dashboard. I just had the 82,000 km service done 2 days ago. They replied a vacuum pump seal and flushed the radiator, otherwise just routine fluids and check over.
Please advise of any thoughts. thanks a lot.

hoonk
12-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Tonight the car would not start.
Lights all came on so assume battery is OK.
When I tried to eject the key fob it would not eject and a message said to take my foot off the brake! Then it came out.

Time for a new battery (or better connections to the one you have as long as the battery is new and the alternator is still charging properly)

budrichard
12-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Vital information:
Original Battery?
If not, when and who changed the old battery
What is it's service life since changed.
Usually, key not releasing is an indicator of battery problem.
Do you have a charger to get the car going?-Richard
BTW Our 2011 XC70 is into it's second year of service life on it's first battery replacement.

CVOLVO
12-17-2016, 06:38 AM
On our Canadian models, that indicator is the Check Engine malfunction indicator light. This normally lights as you turn on the ignition, but if you have access to an OBD-II reader, it might indicate a check engine code? I replaced my battery at about the same age, but saw a "low battery" warning beforehand. I replaced it with a CTC battery and the original Volvo battery is still powering my Allis-Chalmers tractor. It might be worth removing your battery, cleaning the terminals if there's any corrosion and taking it to be tested for certain.

Another thought is the recent early snow (if you're in and around Vancouver) might have affected your parking brake mechanisms. Have you used the electric parking brake recently and try to activate it because it will prevent the engine from starting unless your foot is on the brake. I'm sure this is not the case otherwise you'd notice the Park Brake symbol on the instrument cluster.

In my verification of these warning symbols, I read something interesting on my page 119 under Electric Parking Brake and I quote: "Low battery voltage - If the battery voltage is too low, the parking brake cannot be applied or released. Connect an auxillary battery voltage is too low, see page 111." Jump Starting

Hope these thoughts help pinpoint your problem.