PDA

View Full Version : Front crankshaft seal leak

rrob311
11-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi, my front crank seal just blew. Does anyone know if thrust play on the crank can cause this or crankcase pressure? I hope I can just put a new seal in. If crankshaft end play is the case I will probably have to get rid of the car. :(

Astro14
11-29-2016, 01:24 PM
99% chance it's plugged PCV system.

Fix that at the same time or another seal will blow...

Almost every Volvo needs the PCV system done at 100,000 mile intervals. Never heard of a crank problem...

rrob311
11-29-2016, 02:06 PM
I have had a surge when coming to a stop when warmed up for quite some time. I never checked the PCV. Will I be able to clean everything by just pulling the intake and replacing the box and hoses? Or do I need to do more? This car has me quite frustrated.

Astro14
11-30-2016, 07:55 AM
There are lots of threads in this forum on the PCV system, and I would really recommend using a google search specific to this site and read up.

But, to answer your question directly: replace all the parts using a kit from IPD or FCPEuro, make certain to clean the PTC nipple on the intake pipe, and make certain to clean the passages from the block to the oil pan. It's 3 - 6 hours of work and involves removing the intake manifold. The good kits will include that gasket. You might want to pick up a power steering line o-ring as it's easier to move the pressure pipe out of the way. Pull the dipstick and plug the tube. Way too easy to break it (ask me how I know).

When you're done with the PCV, if you're lucky, the leak will stop. If not, then come on back and I'll walk you through a complete seal replacement, which is another 3 - 6 hour job that requires a tool purchase....

Oh, and while the intake is off, pull and clean the ETM. I'll bet it's dirty...

Finally, you've got a 2001 from what you posted in other threads. You may have ETM issues, but you won't know until you've 1. Cleaned it and 2. Run a sweep using VIDA. See Howard's discussion on this: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

In fact, read his whole blog! There are some real pearls of wisdom in there...

JRL
11-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Do what Astro says

youropeen
11-30-2016, 01:58 PM
This is a good resource on the XC PCV. In particular showing a clogged passage from the breather box down into the oil pan.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/volvo-pulling-the-plug-on-plugged-oil-traps/

Xfingers
12-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Don't rule out the possibility that one of your front camshaft seals may be leaking, dripping down the block and then onto your crankshaft. You can remove your timing belt cover and see if you have any leaks inside or there's oil on the timing belt.

dlundblad
12-01-2016, 02:52 PM
There are lots of threads in this forum on the PCV system, and I would really recommend using a google search specific to this site and read up.

But, to answer your question directly: replace all the parts using a kit from IPD or FCPEuro, make certain to clean the PTC nipple on the intake pipe, and make certain to clean the passages from the block to the oil pan. It's 3 - 6 hours of work and involves removing the intake manifold. The good kits will include that gasket. You might want to pick up a power steering line o-ring as it's easier to move the pressure pipe out of the way. Pull the dipstick and plug the tube. Way too easy to break it (ask me how I know).

When you're done with the PCV, if you're lucky, the leak will stop. If not, then come on back and I'll walk you through a complete seal replacement, which is another 3 - 6 hour job that requires a tool purchase....

Oh, and while the intake is off, pull and clean the ETM. I'll bet it's dirty...

Finally, you've got a 2001 from what you posted in other threads. You may have ETM issues, but you won't know until you've 1. Cleaned it and 2. Run a sweep using VIDA. See Howard's discussion on this: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

In fact, read his whole blog! There are some real pearls of wisdom in there...

Good info as always.

Broke down about bought what I think I'll need. (FCP has a sale now.)The kit, breather pipe, the oil pan seal kit, cooler to pan seals and the special pliers for the clamps. Came to a grand total of about $370.

Is the removal of the power steering line absolutely necessary? I can't seem to find a part# online. How to videos with this model seems sparse sadly too.

gary g
12-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Good info as always.

Broke down about bought what I think I'll need. (FCP has a sale now.)The kit, breather pipe, the oil pan seal kit, cooler to pan seals and the special pliers for the clamps. Came to a grand total of about $370.

Is the removal of the power steering line absolutely necessary? I can't seem to find a part# online. How to videos with this model seems sparse sadly too.

Good point by XFINGERS. I was sure mine was leaking from crnk seal so I replaced it only to find that it was the intake cam seal. Got pretty good at changing the timing belt though.

It is tough to determine where the leak is since the timing belt throws the oil all over.

Dont need to mess with the power steering on a PCV job other than to just move the reservoir to the side -if I recall correctly.