PDA

View Full Version : Haldex pump question - fluid leaked out

dmackey
11-13-2016, 05:54 PM
I changed the filter and fluid in the Haldex unit on Friday without dropping the prop shaft and had to reuse the old cover due to space limitations. Started the car the following morning and drove about 7 miles total and when I returned home there was a trail of oil from my driveway. Darn - did not check after installing new filter and o-ring and the o-ring must have not seated properly and it ran very low on fluid. This was a very dumb move on my part as I always check under the car after any work.

My question - what are the chances I trashed the pump? I realize that the prop shaft needs to come out for better access so I can use the newer cover (that I didn't) and also to access the pump - if it needs replacement. I have not tested AWD and do not have any fault codes, so I'm temped to pull and clean the pump, install the newer cover and give it a try, but do not want to service this twice.

2004 XC70 with 181K miles.

Thoughts?

D-

kutcht1
11-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Check out your AWD first would be my thoughts. Find out where it leaked out, fix it, fill it back up and do a check for AWD. That will tell you what you need to do next.
TomK

vtl
11-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Haldex pump typically fails after 10-12 years. Yours is near end of its life, wise to replace the pump if you plan to drop the shaft.

dmackey
11-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Car sat in my garage for the week with the intention of getting to it, but since my Friday night was rocking, I spent the night in the garage working on the car. Removed the reused (old cover - pressed steel) and installed the new cover (cast aluminum) that has major clearance issues for tools if you do not drop the prop shaft. Took a good look at the prop shaft and thought it might be better (quicker) to take a grinder to my tools and get it done and it worked. I was able to get the newer filter cover installed after 1 hour of turning the darn bolt 1/16th of a turn each time.

Tested AWD on jackstands and also on a sand patch and everything seems fine. I'll wait until the Haldex pump fails and replace it just to see how long it lasts.

Thank you all who post on this board as your experience and knowledge is amazing and appreciated.

D-