PDA

View Full Version : Another common Volvo problem? Instrument cluster.

Jpm53
10-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Just thought of another problem that someone here might be able to help me with. My odometer display stopped working. I know that the odometer still works because if I am in bright sunlight or shine a flashlight on it, I can see the numbers and they increase when driving but they don't light up. I re_fluxed/re_soldered some of the chips per some of the forums and YouTube videos but it still doesn't work. Anyone know which chip or connection(s) power the illumination for the odometer module?

Again, thanks for your help.

hoonk
10-17-2016, 05:35 AM
You need to replace the small incandescent light bulb that illuminates the liquid crystal display.(If it is bad) There are about 9 replaceable bulbs in an 02 instrument cluster

JRL
10-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Or your DIM (dash) is failing, also common

Astro14
10-17-2016, 10:42 AM
At this point - I've had Xemodex rebuild both DIM (Dashboard gauge cluster) on the 2002s Volvos in my signature. After a decade or so, power supplies overheat, solder breaks down, whatever, but those guys at Xemodex got them working perfectly and with all new bulbs. Not cheap, but far, far cheaper than replacing the part, and they check everything.

Further, by using your own cluster, no programming is required. About 10 minutes to get it out and about 10 minutes to get it back in.

I don't know what year your Volvo is, but you might be due for a rebuild, which will fix your issue and ensure long term reliability of that part.

howardc64
10-17-2016, 06:01 PM
I know that the odometer still works because if I am in bright sunlight or shine a flashlight on it, I can see the numbers and they increase when driving but they don't light up. I re_fluxed/re_soldered some of the chips per some of the forums and YouTube videos but it still doesn't work.

Sounds like burnt out bulbs rather than failing microprocessor solder contacts (I've seen garbage letters and intermittent clock racing by itself)

gary
10-18-2016, 04:59 PM
I can vouch for Xemodx and their DIM rebuilds. I have a 2003 and for about four years I had clock racing (forward and reverse) as well as trip odometers that never kept accurate accounting of miles driven. All issues that I was willing to live with until earlier this year when the whole DIM would just stop working. Ordered a rebuilt one from Xemodex (you provide them with your VIN) and no issues since. Sent Xemodex the faulty one which they refurbish and use for the next customer. All at one-third of the price of what Volvo charges. Of course, try the bulb route first, but if you do need a new DIM, Xemodex is the route to go in my opinion. Good luck.

dlundblad
10-21-2016, 02:40 AM
For the life of me, I could not figure out how to give them my vin for one of those clusters.

Also, I am assuming the price is $350 (minus shipping) after returning the old "core" cluster too?

gary
10-21-2016, 03:23 PM
For the life of me, I could not figure out how to give them my vin for one of those clusters.

Also, I am assuming the price is $350 (minus shipping) after returning the old "core" cluster too?

You can always call them. I ordered mine online, and if memory serves me correctlly there was a place to enter the VIN. And yes, when you return your old unit, they refund you the $100 core fee.

Jpm53
10-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Funny you should mention the intermittent clock racing. I had this happen yesterday. Couldn't get it to stop so gave the DIM a whack and it stopped. ???

Thanks for your input.

Jpm53
10-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Will check the bulbs and if that's not the problem, guess I will try Xemodex or try another resolder myself.