PDA

View Full Version : Disconnected batter without following procedure.

Gene-M
10-12-2016, 08:02 AM
I've had this car for a little over two months. It's a 2004 with less than 80k on it. I was doing some re-upholstery work on the front seats, and had to disconnect the batter several times during the process. It wasn't until this past weekend that I realized that I did not follow procedure and might have screwed a couple of things up.

Sometime after that I had a strange no-start issue that was gone the next day, and another one a week or two later. That second time it didn't start at first, I gave it another shot right away, and it did start, but about a mile from my house the car went into zombie mode. It was driving, but everything stopped working, everything. I had no lights, no signals, no power windows, no interior lights, nothing. I drove the car home right away, and the next day it was fine.

Brought it to the dealer a few days later and told them about disconnecting the battery (the service manager didn't seem to know to tell me that I did it wrong and might have screwed stuff up), and so they did a diagnosis. They found a bunch of codes that needed to be reset, and ran what he called a "complimentary" software update, which he said should reset all the codes and get everything working right again. But honestly, this guy did not seem to know these cars very well- hopefully the actual techs did.

Now I've read that in addition to frying the ECC, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery in the wrong sequence/manner can also screw up your climate system requiring a complete $200 reboot at the Volvo dealer. I called the dealer back and the SM didn't seem to know anything about this issue and said the software update should have taken care of everything. But I don't feel as though his answers are reliable anymore. This is a huge Nissan Volvo dealer and this guy is not familiar with the cars and just sits in an office and answers the phone and hands people bills.

I need to know if there is any specific way of determining if the climate control module is working correctly, and what else I should look out for. The car is running beautifully now and I haven't had any issues since having it serviced. I did download the method for resetting the unit back to factory specs I hope to get to that today. Hope to do the radio reset too. Who knows, maybe that will help with the weak volume I'm getting on the left door.

Thanks in advance for any help or input on these concerns.