PDA

View Full Version : cruising for information

jimpierce7
10-10-2016, 07:01 PM
2006 XC70 Cross Country. Love it!!

Just a couple questions real quick. My car makes a funny noise. It isn't always there. It is under the hood, I think from the rear of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owRPj3vpBI4

It doesn't seem to effect the performance any. Any ideas?

I'm hoping a fluid change will solve or improve the transmission issue. Fluid level (it was a score to find that dip stick!!) seems ok but it looks dirty.
When turning a corner at a stop light or such, where I slow down to like 5 MPH sometimes it acts like its in neutral or between gears and of course slams into gear before the engine slows back down. lol EEEK!

So the fluid change and front brake pads are going to be my first stop!!

JRL
10-10-2016, 08:39 PM
It may help. it may not.
What you need is a new or rebuilt valvebody

jimpierce7
10-10-2016, 09:34 PM
It may help. it may not.
What you need is a new or rebuilt valvebody

I guess if the fluid change doesn't help that may well be next on the list. Read this so I went about reading up on it a bit. Thanks!

JRL
10-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Did not mean valvebody, sorry.
THIS IS NOT A TRANSMISSION NOISE

This sounds like the vacuum pump switch has broken (common) and the brake vacuum pump is continually running. It's supposed to run only for a few seconds at a time!
DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE as this will burn up the pump, (switch, cheap, pump, EXPENSIVE!)
The plastic switch is right behind the radiator support with a couple of small vacuum lines coming out of it, slightly left of center
Easy to see, easy to change out

jimpierce7
10-11-2016, 10:56 AM
This little beast? I figured you were speaking to my transmission problem. :)

jimpierce7
10-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Just curious if this is a dealer only or online only kind of thing? O'Reilly's doesn't seem to know anything.

JRL
10-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Dealer, not expensive
The pump IS expensive, I usually buy those used

jimpierce7
10-11-2016, 06:40 PM
I called the dealer and they wanted $100 at first. Then after I asked about a new key, they dropped the price to $71.

vtl
10-11-2016, 06:56 PM
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-booster-vacuum-switch-s60-v70-xc70-s80-genuine-volvo-31265825

$66.70, qualifies for free shipping

jimpierce7
10-12-2016, 08:35 AM
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-booster-vacuum-switch-s60-v70-xc70-s80-genuine-volvo-31265825

$66.70, qualifies for free shipping

Free shipping and no California tax....

jimpierce7
10-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Continuing to explore here, I heard the noise a bit ago and disconnected the wires at the vacuum pump switch. Didn't stop the noise. Is that how to disconnect the booster pump?

jimpierce7
10-13-2016, 07:15 PM
If the vacuum pump is where I think it is, I don't think it is the noise. I'm hunting it down, wish I had more time to look this afternoon. Dang job anyway!!

The sound seems to be coming from the front of the motor, real close to center. I can hear the booster pump inside the car when it's quiet. The sound I'm chasing I can't hear in the car.

AKAMick
10-14-2016, 08:03 AM
I would purchase a HF mechanic stethoscope and start poking around to narrow it down, or a big screwdriver placed to the ear and on the suspect noisy part might help, better than just guessing, PS pump, Alternator or its clutch pulley, maybe a timing belt idler? good luck.

jimpierce7
10-14-2016, 04:24 PM
I would purchase a HF mechanic stethoscope and start poking around to narrow it down, or a big screwdriver placed to the ear and on the suspect noisy part might help, better than just guessing, PS pump, Alternator or its clutch pulley, maybe a timing belt idler? good luck.

The alternator area is where the noise is. I might drop in on one of our European repair shop and let them listen. Too many moving parts to stick a screwdriver there. :)