PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems

Elkbanner
09-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Hi Forum Members I am hoping I can get some advice concerning my transmission. I am the original owner of a 2004 XC70 with 310K miles. I have never touched the transmission fluid. Recently my transmission has been jerky when I start to accelerate, it seems to hesitate before jerking into gear. There is no metal sound when this happens and it does not do it all the time. I was recently in the mountains and transmission was jerking more frequently, but now that I have returned to level ground, the transmission is acting more normal. I would love to keep the car running as long as possible and I am wondering if I should do something now, such as a flush, or do nothing and hope it for the best. FYI, 2 years ago, I had the rear propeller shaft removed (by a mechanic) and it is now solely a front wheel drive car.

vtl
09-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Most likely you need to repair a valve body.

kutcht1
09-26-2016, 04:44 PM
WOW WEE, 310,000 miles on any transmission and it owes you nothing if you have never maintained it. That is incredible. Not sure how to advise on that one other than maybe have it looked at by someone familiar with the volvo. I for sure want to find out how this turns out as there can't be may of these transmission that have gone that far.
TomK

AKAMick
09-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Well you really have done well with that mileage on a transmission that has never seen a fluid change, sounds like it has exceeded its expected life, you could try a fluid exchange, the valve body and the linear solenoids are probably really worn out and clogged up, but the rest of the transmission cannot be far behind, so anything you do probably wont extend its life too much, maybe check the ATF level though,

Astro14
09-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Change the fluid first. After those kind of miles, the fluid has completely sheared out of grade. Low viscosity = low pressure. Low pressure = shift problems. Get 16 quarts and do a complete cooler line fluid exchange. When you're done, I promise it will shift better. Even if I'm wrong, you're out $100, tops.

Elkbanner
09-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Thank you for your input. I am not mechanically inclined, I could probably fix it if it involved a table saw or a router - I think you are recommending a transmission flush as opposed to a fluid change?

Also, I would like to thank everyone who participates in this forum, I do not post much, however, I read a lot of the threads and have found them very helpful. For example, this site saved me money by educating me on the bread clip fix.

Astro14
09-27-2016, 04:07 AM
I think we need to clarify terms.

I'm suggesting that you disconnect the lower cooler line. Slip a clear plastic hose over it. Put the hose in a graduated bucket. Run the engine until two quarts have pumped out. Shut off the engine. Add two quarts to the transmission via funnel. Repeat this seven times and the fluid will change from ugly, dark, particulate filled gunk to clear red fluid.

That's a cooler line exchange AKA "Gibbons flush". A complete exchange of fluid.

Buy this kit: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808/107945-automatic-transmission-flush-hose-kit you need the clips and o-rings as yours will surely be brittle and break.

Download and follow the directions on that page. Buy 16 (I would recommend 14, but you might need one more cycle) quarts of T-IV fluid. Toyota fluid is cheap at the dealer. Valvoline import multi vehicle claims to meet JWS-3309 and works in our XC. Or, you can buy Mobil 3309 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-55221-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00BLKXW9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474974332&sr=8-1&keywords=mobil+3309+transmission+fluid

Do not buy Volvo fluid it's Mobil 3309 that's been shipped to Sweden, put in fancy bottles, and shipped back to be sold for four times the price.

If you still have your fingers after using a table saw, you can do this.

JRL
09-27-2016, 05:10 AM
Personally, the life of your tranny has exceeded normal use considering you never changed the fluid and starting to change fluid now or installing a new or rebuilt balvebosy is a total waste of time and money.

Astro, this XC has too many miles to start spending money on fooling with a bad tranny

For a little more money search for a GUARANTEED used transmission and install it.
If you go that route or rebuild yours, for GOD'S SAKE! Change the damn fluid every 30K miles from now on!

Call Erie
www.erievovo.com or 1 888 VOLVO 13

Astro14
09-27-2016, 05:17 AM
You're likely right, Jim...at 300,000+ it could very easily be completely worn out...and running on old fluid likely caused more rapid wear...

But I personally would take a chance and spend the $100 or so that the new fluid represents. Worst case, he's out $100...best case, it keeps the car on the road a little while longer...

But I don't want to get my hopes up, either...

Scopeman
09-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Also, I am sure that the fluid counter should be reset using VIDA.

JRL
09-27-2016, 08:24 AM
That too has probably allowed or helped this XC to go into whatever it is doing
Look, it's never been serviced. To get over 300K miles out of it is a friggen miracle!

Just shop for a used transmission or if you have a QUALIFIED shop near you, rebuild yours, but I caution that the case itself may be too (internally) worn out to even do that!.

(I've come across several of these, with less miles than yours, that could not be rebuilt)!

vtl
09-27-2016, 11:51 AM
310k miles on a 2004 car means a lot of highway miles. Where transmission sits in fifth gear with locked torque converter and ATF temperature at about 170F. No shifting, steady load, cool ATF, why it should go bad?

City traffic is what kills it. If it gets these 300k miles in New York City - yeah, that's cool and hard to imagine.

Elkbanner
09-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Up until 2 years ago when I moved to the Lowcountry of South Carolina, the car had spent most of its life in the mountains of North Carolina and I did travel a lot for work. I agree, I have little to lose doing a fluid change and will order some Mobil 3309 today. Thank you Scopeman for suggesting I reset the counter. I checked the transmission dipstick today, it was high when cold and appeared to be at the appropriate level when hot (harder to see, just a thin streak). The fluid is dark red.

kutcht1
09-27-2016, 03:24 PM
I did not know a transmission had a "balvebosy". Where is that located?
I agree vtl, lots of highway driving and a change of fluid is at least worth a try.
TomK

Astro14
09-28-2016, 06:28 AM
I did a cooler line fluid exchange on the XC yesterday. 211,000 and the last change was at 180,000.

Drained the fluid from the transmission, added 3.5 Qts. Hooked up the hose, pumped out two QT, added two, and repeated the process. After about 8 Qts, the fluid, which was already red, got noticeably more clear and bright in color. I did the pump & refill twice more, for a total of 12 QT in the exchange.

Shifts perfectly.

It's been 100,000 miles since my valvebody work, and the regular fluid changes, along with the external cooler, have kept the transmission alive and well. I've not added a magnefine filter, but the magnetic drain plug had very, very little on after 30,000 miles, so the wear on the steels inside the transmission is minimal.

But as I was doing this, and it took me about an hour, including getting out the ramps, removing the splash guard and doing the work, I thought of my 850 wagon, which got the first flush on the AW-42 at about 165,000. That fluid came out absolutely black and horrible. With new fluid in it, it ran perfectly for the rest of its life, despite all the old wive's tales about old fluid keeping a transmission together and the admonition not to change it completely.

Elkbanner
09-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Astro, Do you run the engine to heat the ATF beforehand. Also, should I put the car in drive when doing the fluid exchange?

Astro14
09-28-2016, 05:53 PM
I run the engine a bit. As long as the trans temp is above 100F, you'll get decent flow. It's a trade off, however, as you'll burn your arms on a variety of engine parts if it's truly hot. I put the car in every gear as I do the flush. The fluid comes out at about a quart every 15 seconds or so, you've got time to shift through the gears as it's pumping out. I shift in and out of every gear serveral times - to ensure that each hydraulic circuit gets fresh fluid.