PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor temp sensor advice needed

robo
09-20-2016, 06:14 PM
2001 XC70 with outside temperature reading up to 40 degrees low at times. Causes heat to come on when air conditioning should be on. I have looked around and have found mixed answers. From what I can tell there are two temperature sensors, on in the driver's side view mirror and one in the passenger side view mirror. I believe the driver's side mirror is the one that controls the dashboard read out and can effect the heating and cooling. From what I read, it is also a PITA to change these because the interior door skin needs to be removed to remove the side view mirror. I also read somewhere that when you change the sensors, the computer needs to be reprogrammed??? Say it isn't so, I don't want to pay the bucks to take it to the dealer.....

So looking for advice from anyone who may have had to deal with this. Is it just best to replace both sensors? They are cheap. Or will I need to have the computer reprogrammed, in which case I'm not sure it is worth it. May just try to convince the wife to deal with it.

Thanks for any insight that can be shared.