PDA

View Full Version : Wife wants an S60...I don't.

AlanS
07-15-2016, 06:40 PM
So, the wife wants a pre-owned S60. Having had so many Volvos, I thought that a change to a vehicle that required less upkeep would be nice, as I really am tired of creeping under cars at 65. We looked at Camry, Accord, Legacy and even a pre-owned Lexus CT200H. She would not even consider these cars...she's a bit of a snob! Convince me that a pre-owned S60 is a better choice than the cars I have named. Or...given the cars I named, which alternative to the S60 would you all consider?

Antherzoll
07-15-2016, 06:44 PM
None. It's a Volvo.

:D

howardc64
07-16-2016, 08:36 AM
As a general rule for upkeep, Honda+Toyota < NA FWD S60 < Turbo FWD S60 < Turbo AWD S60 = Turbo AWD XC70

NA FWD S60 likely reduce/eliminate the need to crawl under the middle and back of the car. No turbo or AWD complexity to deal with. Of course you loose the features. For NA, you want 03+ to avoid the high failure ETM problem.

Tuned up a 04 Accord with 180k miles recently. Bullet proof and looked like a 50k mile car everywhere. Big maintenance items are just : flush auto regularly, valve adjust at 150k+, lube caliper pins (Toy+Honda caliper design needs frequent lube)

Astro14
07-16-2016, 12:05 PM
I really like my V-70. It's faster, better handling, and stops better than my XC, while retaining that Volvo feel. I like the sport seats better as well...but the question is this: who will be driving the car?

That's who gets to choose.

Xheart
07-16-2016, 04:22 PM
So, the wife wants a pre-owned S60. Having had so many Volvos, I thought that a change to a vehicle that required less upkeep would be nice, as I really am tired of creeping under cars at 65. We looked at Camry, Accord, Legacy and even a pre-owned Lexus CT200H. She would not even consider these cars...she's a bit of a snob! Convince me that a pre-owned S60 is a better choice than the cars I have named. Or...given the cars I named, which alternative to the S60 would you all consider?

Problem of marrying a smarter gal than yourself. Find a S60 you don't creep under. Your wife has a last word -- listen to JR and ASTRO!

Joe Mc
07-17-2016, 10:18 AM
That's who gets to choose.

Wait a minute here! Although the person who's driving it most should have a major role in choice, but what about the guy who's maintaining (and probably buying) it? Oh, that's right I forgot there's a "wife" involved, silly me (think after 27 years of marriage I'd remember "the wife is always right and what she says is gospel).

Tell her as long as she let's you teach her how to maintain it she can get whatever she wants.... Ah, good luck with that BTW. S60's are nice but so are V70 (non-XC) a compromise would be the V70...

vtl
07-17-2016, 07:17 PM
She is right: S60 is better than all cars you have mentioned :)