PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Pulley Removal

sabbates
07-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Hi all,

I need to change the timing belt on my 2001 V70XC, and the procedure calls for a special tool to hold the crank shaft pulley while removing the center bolt.

I've changed the timing belt on other cars, and I've always been able to use the "starter blip" method to loosen the bolt, or remove the starter and insert a screwdriver to hold the fly wheel teeth while removing the bolt.

Is that how you guys have done it? Or did you buy or make a special tool?

Xfingers
07-14-2016, 04:35 AM
Rather than removing the crank pulley to gain access to the belt, another approach is to reach behind the pulley with your fingers to remove the belt. First you have to take off the plastic belt guard on the front side with a small wrench (2 bolts, 10mm?). Because the pulley's in the way, you have to "floss" and finagle the belt on and off to get it around some tight areas and small protrusions. When you get the old belt off, use it to practice the reinstall a few times until you find the trick to getting it to seat properly. It may look like it's on, but feel with your fingers that the belt is totally enmeshed in the teeth of the gear or else the belt will be too short to fit over the top of the cam pulleys. There's some helpful threads and photos I found by searching but sorry don't have the links to them.
Some folks have been able to remove the crank pulley with a power tool. Never tried that way myself.

Astro14
07-14-2016, 05:24 AM
I fabricated a tool for the first couple of times. Steel bar stock, 1/4" X 3/4".

Then, I bought this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-crankshaft-holding-tool-cta-2247-2248-1

Much more secure. In 5 timing belt jobs, I've never been able to "floss" the belt on...and I've never had a belt be off by a tooth, either...

Scopeman
07-14-2016, 07:32 AM
I removed mine with a 1/2" air impact tool. Worked fine, the crank didn't move.

vtl
07-14-2016, 11:24 AM
8 Amp electric impact tool worked too on two my wagons. And on Haldex flange bolt too.

billr99
07-14-2016, 06:36 PM
I've done belts on both of my XCs over the last 6 months or so. Xfingers has the answer but I might add that if you undo the motor mount on the crank pulley end of the engine and jack that end of the engine up about two inches, it really makes getting the job done easier. All the bolts for the cover are easier to get to and remove and you have a bit more room to get the belt off the crank end and out of the way.

Cheers,

Bill

dlundblad
07-19-2016, 06:11 PM
I originally bought the tool for the job, but I tried an impact anyways, which worked.

The tool proved to be handy when torquing the crank bolt to spec though.

Reverend
07-20-2016, 11:32 AM
I just remove the little belt cover on the bottom and slide the belt in and leave the crank pulley in place. The bolts are 12mm IIRC