PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Removal For 2001 XC70 - Plastive Shield & Oil Hoses

Oka
06-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Have done many serious work on many different autos without repair manual, just technical ability, Volvo included.
Now, am working on replacing the radiator in the 2001 XC70.

Was able to find (VIDA radiator replacement procedure) on line, but the first page is kinda not clear enough.
Removed the fan but need to get under the radiator. The oil drip shield is already out.

- Don't know how to remove the plastic shield under the car, in front and attached to the bumper. Not the oil drip shield.
I mean the long one attached to the metal shield by the bumper.
- Exactly, the rick on how to disconect the two oil cooler hoses.

Could not fine info on the 2001 XC70. Am just pissed I am chanllenged on the freaking radiator.

Thanks.

01_Nautic_V70
06-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Are you asking how to remove the transmission fluid cooler lines from the radiator? They have quick disconnect clips on them squeeze the tabs together and pull back.

For the front air dam piece, there are two screws on the far left and right ends. Remove with 10mm socket. Piece comes out by tilting down and pulling back (to the rear of car) until the tabs come out of the front bumper.

AKAMick
06-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Remove the fog light access covers, that reveals the two bolts, one on each side, remove pull down and look into the front, the shield has a clip in a slot on each side, a flashlight helps see them, a good long screwdriver will push the tab clips to release them

Oka
07-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Now the new radiator is installed and all the hoses attached. The VADIS info I found, still, is vague.
With everything back, what is the 'correct' process in adding the coolant and making sure oil goes
though to the system?
I found some info on adding the coolant (50/50 mixture) but not on the oil lines.
I read about adding the coolant:
- Starting the engine with the heater turned to the highest
- Turning off the engine at running temperature.
Saw a post about running around the block to reach a running temperature.
I would rather run it in the garage, on the floor ramp to check for any leak.
How can I leave it where it is to get the
engine to running temperature? Coolant level light has always come up since
the old radiator was leaking anyway.
- Good way to check for its running temperature
- Topping the coolant as the tank gets low
- Topping the transmission oil in the transmission after the DIY is complete
- The 2001 XC70 has the two oil lines reconnected.

I need the correct process / procedure.

Thanks.

Xfingers
07-05-2016, 04:28 AM
My approach to adding coolant: Fill to FULL mark in reservoir and leave cap OFF. Start engine, turn heat to highest setting, watch level in coolant reservoir fall, and add coolant to bring level to full. Shut off engine and put cap on reservoir. Come back later after engine cools and add more coolant if necessary. Drive car around block and bring extra coolant with you just in case. Shut off car, let engine cool, and check coolant level. For the next couple days, carry extra coolant with you in the car and check coolant level with engine cold. Not an exact science but worked for me.
Reason why I say carry extra coolant with you in the car is seems like I remember getting a COOLANT LEVEL LOW warning message the first time driving after changing fluid. So I pulled over, shut off engine and let it cool a little, carefully opened reservoir cap and topped up coolant.