PDA

View Full Version : Strange clunk in the right rear

alcraig
05-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Last week, I had to have a vehicle inspection performed. In one of the tests, the mechanic took the car out on the road, got it going pretty good and then jammed on the brakes. He has some sort of device that tests the brake performance. Everything pass except I was told I needed new tires on the rears, so off to another shop to have 4 new tires installed. Back to the original shop for final approval, then home.

Ever since then, I have noticed a strange clunk coming from what sounds like the right rear wheel. It happens twice, when the car has been sitting for awhile. First. when I back out of my drive way, I hear it after a couple of rolls of the tires. Then, going forward in drive, I hear it again after a couple of rolls as I go up the street.

My first thought was that maybe the lug nuts weren't tightened down and the wheel was slipping ever so slightly. But back to the tire shop and they checked and couldn't find a problem.

My second thought is maybe the brake pads are sticking and the noise I'm hearing is just them breaking loose. Its seems odd that it doesn't happen on the very first movement, and even odder that it happens once in reverse and then again in drive.

My third thought is maybe the emergency brake shoes are sticking. (Because the mechanic used the E Brake, which I never use)

What compounds my frustration is that I can't make it happen after it has warmed up.

Finally, 2 weeks ago I was pulling my boat out of the water at our local (crappy) boat ramp. Because it was low tide, my rear end was getting a little wet. The trailer wheels dropped into the sand beyond the concrete, so I had to rock 'n' roll it a bit (while my buddy dug sand out from under the wheels). When we finally got up the ramp, I stopped to strap down the boat. When I took off again, I hear a god-awful squeal coming from the rear end. Kinda sounded like the noise you make when you rub a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass. I took it to be the pads resonating against the rotors. Only lasted for about 20 feet, then stopped again and haven't heard it since.

Could I have gotten some sea water (or sand) into the calliper pistons? And still causing the clunk?

Ta

billr99
05-09-2016, 04:42 AM
My bet is that an e-brake shoe has shattered and you have a piece(s) floating around in the e-brake drum. Your symptoms sound similar to what I had one time when I had a shoe completely delaminate and the pieces were rattling around. Only way to tell is to pull the rotor on that corner and see what you have going on in there.

Good Luck,

Bill

JRL
05-09-2016, 07:20 AM
E brake shoes