PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Xc70 - Solenoids replaced - Shifting worse

AutosDirectFlorida
05-08-2016, 05:51 PM
So I had the typical 1-2 and 2-1 hard shift.
I flushed then replaced the B4 Servo, fluud counter reset, adaptation reset. Nothing changed.
Decided to install Rostra Solenoids.
Finished today and did another adaptation reset.
Now it's barely drivable. It's hard shifting in every gear to the point it shakes the entire car.
Extremely delayed downshifts. It downshifts into 1st after I already came to a stop and does it so violently it rocks the car.
Next step and something I should of already done is a TCM software update.
However, I'm interested in opinions, comments, suggestions of what others might do in this situation.
Valve body rebuild comes to mind....

Thanks in advance..

Astro14
05-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Describe your adaptation reset procedure.

Antherzoll
05-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Could be the solenoid needs adjusting, I would get a set of pressure gauges to check the pressure at the taps, Sonnax has a description on their site. Also on Sonnax's site are instruction on how to drill holes in the valve cover to access the adjustment screw, with the proper size hole you can use a well nut to seal them up after.

http://www.sonnax.com/articles/209-aw-55-50-af23-33-diagnosis-and-valve-body-information

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=20452&SEName=700-922

AutosDirectFlorida
05-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Describe your adaptation reset procedure.

As I'm reading, I believe that could be my problem. I only did the reset, didn't put it in adapt mode and run through the procedure.
I have some more work to do.

2002V70XC
05-08-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm with Antherzoll on this one! I don't think Rostra solenoids are "plug and play" so you gotta adjust the solenoids until it shifts properly.
My reference would be: http://my6thgen.org/f6/lessons-aw55-50sn-solenoid-replacement-25271/

vtl
05-09-2016, 04:15 AM
Reman valve body will solve all the issues.

AutosDirectFlorida
05-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Rostra engineer states that the solenoids are calibrated for a valve body with normal wear.
Hard shifting as I'm experiencing now can be dialed out by adjusting one of the solenoids up to one full turn depending on how hard its shifting.
As much as I dont want to do this, this will be my next step since I dont have a choice.

For some reason, following the instructions, I still did not have nearly enough room to get the cover off.
I had the sub frame dropped as instructed and ended up having to drop both front subframe bolts and removing the front motor mount bolt and lifting the engine a bit.
It was still tight but I got it.....What a PITA this was......
And now to take it all back apart again to turn a dial one turn :)

vtl
05-10-2016, 09:48 AM
I had the sub frame dropped as instructed and ended up having to drop both front subframe bolts and removing the front motor mount bolt and lifting the engine a bit.
PITA - yes, agree. Here's my story: replaced solenoids with Rostra, did all the holes in the cover, etc. Could not convince it shifting at least how it was with the old solenoids, finally unscrewed one solenoid's screw too much and dropped it into valve body cover. Do all PITA process again, now put old solenoids back, same story with the poor shifting. Spent 3 days in garage (and on the streets), decided to pay someone to put a reman. valve body. That helped. I don't know if my valve body was that bad, or I did not put solenoids correctly, like holes on VB and solenoid were not matching. In the first place, if I knew all of that up front, I'd buy a reman. VB and did it myself. Just FYI.

Astro14
05-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Rostra engineer states that the solenoids are calibrated for a valve body with normal wear.
Hard shifting as I'm experiencing now can be dialed out by adjusting one of the solenoids up to one full turn depending on how hard its shifting.
As much as I dont want to do this, this will be my next step since I dont have a choice.

For some reason, following the instructions, I still did not have nearly enough room to get the cover off.

When you couldn't get the cover off, whose instructions were you following?

Pretty certain that I've said that you have to raise the engine an inch, disconnect the front motor mount, and remove the two front subframe bolts to lower the subframe two inches...and you discovered that on your own...so...

Now, the idea behind using the Rostra solenoids was to save money over a VB rebuild, right?

The VB rebuild, followed by a calibration/adaptation drive cycle (from VIDA) would have yielded perfect shifting...but now, you're going back in for multiple manual calibrations on those solenoids, drilling out your Valve body cover, and continuing to tweak, right?

So, was saving that money worth it? Seriously, was it worth all your hassle to have your car not shift right and have all the calibration in front of you? I question the logic behind the Rostra decision...

AKAMick
05-10-2016, 05:25 PM
The clip that holds the two top solenoids can be fitted in reverse and when it's done blocks the solenoid exhaust ports and hard shifting is the result.

AutosDirectFlorida
05-11-2016, 07:33 AM
When you couldn't get the cover off, whose instructions were you following?

Pretty certain that I've said that you have to raise the engine an inch, disconnect the front motor mount, and remove the two front subframe bolts to lower the subframe two inches...and you discovered that on your own...so...

Now, the idea behind using the Rostra solenoids was to save money over a VB rebuild, right?

The VB rebuild, followed by a calibration/adaptation drive cycle (from VIDA) would have yielded perfect shifting...but now, you're going back in for multiple manual calibrations on those solenoids, drilling out your Valve body cover, and continuing to tweak, right?

So, was saving that money worth it? Seriously, was it worth all your hassle to have your car not shift right and have all the calibration in front of you? I question the logic behind the Rostra decision...

I question the decision as well - At this point, I've contacted Sonnax about a rebuild kit I can use with the solenoids I already bought.

I dont the link, but was following a very lengthy PDF that, as I scroll back through it, mentions the engine mount and transmission brace - totally missed that when I was reading through.
I dont want to go back and forth attempting to adjust - I'll move on to a reman unit or rebuild it myself and call it a learning experience :)

AutosDirectFlorida
05-11-2016, 07:34 AM
The clip that holds the two top solenoids can be fitted in reverse and when it's done blocks the solenoid exhaust ports and hard shifting is the result.

When I get the cover back off, I'll check this but pretty certain I did it correctly as the Rostra notes indicate the same.

vtl
05-11-2016, 07:42 AM
or rebuild it myself
Do you have all calibrating equipment required for this job? Otherwise it would be a guess work again.

AutosDirectFlorida
05-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Do you have all calibrating equipment required for this job? Otherwise it would be a guess work again.

This is a learning process - I dont mind doing work myself and since I already bought solenoids, was hoping to get a rebuild kit and finish it.
Based on your remarks, I'll just assume "it isnt that easy"........... and should just consider a reman'd unit and be done with it.
I've been researching that too. Ranges from 600 - over 1000 for rebuilt units.

vtl
05-11-2016, 08:29 AM
I'd say, $650..700 + core for remanufactured w/ Sonnax kit.

Astro14
05-11-2016, 01:39 PM
These guys were great when I did mine several years ago: http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/volvo_aw55_50sn.html

Shipping to Canada was a bit of a pain, but talking to Carlos on the phone was great. He was a huge help, and years later, I am glad I used his company...

AutosDirectFlorida
05-19-2016, 10:08 AM
I went with http://www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com/

I have the new one installed and the car put back together more or less.
Swapped front engine mount, next step is the rest before I finish up.
Waiting on Mobile 3309 as nobody local sells this stuff so just ordered off the net.

Funny thing is - this VB shop wont use rostra parts - I asked them about wanting the solenoids I bought first and they replied - "we dont use rostra solenoids, they dont work"
To each their own I suppose - going to try and return the solenoids when this is all done......

vtl
05-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Funny thing is - this VB shop wont use rostra parts - I asked them about wanting the solenoids I bought first and they replied - "we dont use rostra solenoids, they dont work"
Interesting... This is exactly what my transmission tech said. Any day he would go with refurbished OE solenoids than with Rostra.