PDA

View Full Version : "Radio has mind of its own"

1MrBill2u
04-11-2016, 08:46 AM
STRANGE NEW ISSUE:The radio does its own thing when locked in on stations set to memory.
It just goes off on it own scanning session and will keep doing this when you go on a trip, then its good one day,
and maybe a week or a few days later it starts doing it again. It's like the scan button is stuck but its not...
I read the manual to check out the radio's full operation and capabilities, didn't find anything that popped out.
I had heard something about bad antenna loops; could this be related?

Could anyone please let me know if you've heard of any type of issues.

Thanks Bill

Astro14
04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
If the charging system/battery are good, then this is your radio dying...

Happened on my V70. I got a used radio from ErieVovo. They have an eBay store, but I would just call them to ensure you get the same year/color. If it's the same year, it's a simple replacement.

Disconnect the battery before doing this so that anything you disconnect won't cause problems. E.g. Climate control disconnect with power on will cause an SRS warning.

1MrBill2u
04-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Hey Astro14,

Charging system/battery is good... incidentally this is the 2nd radio for the car, I got that info from
the dealer when I purchased the car, maybe they couldn't fix so shoved another radio in.
That would make me think it had electronic problems (just because of the key issue I was just having)
I'm just not used to hearing of radios going bad as such;
I will go with a replacement. Has your replacement lasted? How hard is the removal/installation?

Much Thanks,

Bill

Astro14
04-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Hard to diagnose over the Internet. But mine went wonky and did exactly what yours is doing and a replacement fixed the problem. Used radio has been good for a year now.

It's hard to know if the dealer replaced it with a used radio ($100) or new ($700) but is suspect it was used and has the same issue as the first radio...

Replacement is a piece of cake.

Be certain power is off by disconnecting battery. Use a nylon pry tool to pop out the little panel below the climate control, there's two screws there, remove them, then remove the climate controls. Once that panel is out, you'll see two more screws that hold the radio in place, remove them. The radio slides down about 1/2" to release two clips on the top of the face. Then it pulls straight out. Two connector plugs in the back. There will be a cup holder, cubby, or blank plate bolted to the radio chassis. Easy enough to swap if you want to keep what you had.

Installation is reverse of removal.

1MrBill2u
04-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Awesome, I'm relieved that it's a cheap fix as well as an easy one.
Again much thanks for your quick replies and "know-how".

Thanks again,
Bill