PDA

View Full Version : New Member 2006 XC70

getspooled
03-05-2016, 08:44 AM

Hello everyone! I'm in a long time Volvo speed member who has owned 850s for over 15 years. I just acquired a very nice 2006 XC70 with only 93k miles from my father-in-law who bought it new and has meticulously kept a dealer serviced and detailed. I sadly sold my 850 last week but I can now focus my efforts on my cross country. I wanted to share my list of modifications that I am interested in. I have already installed an IPD 25mm rear sway bar which made a big difference as suggested by many of you. I also did the IPD strut bar conversion kit. I also have their poly subframe bushings and poly trans torque mount ready to go on. Thanks so much for any ideas or suggestions! I should say it's recently had the timing belt done along with spring seats, PCV system, Control arm bushing replacement, camshaft seals, plugs, air/ fuel filters, brake fluid/ coolant service, OEM brake pads/ rotors.

Modifications I would like to do:

1. V70R rear spoiler, NLA in Barents Blue per my local dealer. If I cannot source a painted one quickly I will just order a new prepped one and have a body shop paint it. If I got an OEM black one would it look silly?
2. OEM Pegs or other wheels that could eventually accommodate the R Brembo brakes.
3. WheatherTech Cargo Mat, unfortunately it appears they don't make front or second row mats for our cars. Is the OEM cargo mat thick/ decent?
4. Upgrade the stereo. I am very interested in seeing if I could somehow get a Dynaudio system like the S60R system with three way front speakers which sound amazing. Can the door cards be swapped with V70R ones to do this, and would they look ridiculous? What HU and Amp setup could work? I'm pretty experienced stereos but like to stay OEM here if possible.
5. Third row seat for kid hauling.
6. Upper engine square mount seems to have tons of play in it. Is this normal? Seems ineffective.
7. R Brakes. I'm not impressed with the braking but I came from a lowered 850 with a 302mm BBK, drilled rotors and SS lines. Are the R brakes really just bolt on, no brackets required? I understand of course that new lines, pads, rotors and appropriate wheels are needed.
8. New roof trim strips, probably NLA also.
9. Exhaust. I don't see an OBX option. Suggestions? I miss my 3" OBX system Lol

Thanks again! I'll try to post up more pictures

getspooled
03-05-2016, 08:58 AM

Antherzoll
03-05-2016, 10:32 AM
OBX is no longer being produced, cheapest for a straight pipe would be custom pipe, I can't see a shop charging much for two flanges, 90*, 45*, straight section, and a flex joint. I have a catted RaceS60R pipe, Eurosport Tuning usually has a sale between now and early summer for their catted pipe.

Brakes, R brakes are great, and I may spring for them eventually, but a good in between are the 12" rotors. Check the stickies on the top of the forum.

Upper engine mount is supposed to have a bit of play, but if it's really sloppy or you can see through it at the extreme fore and aft then replace it. I strongly recommend against poly mounts if you value your ride quality. Subframe poly inserts are OK.

OEM cargo mats are great

Third row seat, not a fan. Dangerous in my opinion.

JRL
03-05-2016, 03:08 PM
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW down
Poly Poly Poly!
I sure hope you like vibrating cars!!!

If you want an 850 radio, find one and the harness and do that swap and add the center speaker first. (Center speaker is pre-wired so that's real easy now).
I just did this a couple of weeks ago and kept the stock speakers, and you know it's not bad at all.
I've also done it with good aftermarket speakers, it was better but not THAT much better to warrant $800 worth of speakers and labor unless you're a total audiophile

Xheart
03-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Nice car!
Third row seat where kids face following traffic was not our kids favorite. Keep it solely for cargo. Family ride close together, safe!

getspooled
03-07-2016, 09:08 PM
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW down
Poly Poly Poly!
I sure hope you like vibrating cars!!!

Lol, Ok I'll admit my first post was pretty long, just anxious to get working on a few things.

I didn't notice any increase in noise or vibration with poly subframe inserts on my 850 but it greatly helped the tightness of the front end. I know the lower poly mount will increase vibration at idle but we'll see if it's too much.

The first couple things I'd really like to do are the rear spoiler and some kind of exhaust modification.

Thanks Antherzoll!

OceanBlue02
03-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Sounds/looks like a great find!

I remember when I was a kid one of my aunts had one of those old 850 wagons with the rear facing seats. We liked to sit back their because we could sit and play in the big trunk space ... nowadays I think of it as a death trap. However, with how safe these cars are you'd probably be better off in the back of an 850 than in the passenger seat of another comparable late model car.

Forkster
03-08-2016, 07:59 AM
I did swap out most of my mounts for poly - but I love the engine feel through the steering wheel, others won't. For me, I could actually feel how the engine was doing.

Your upper engine mount is shot - should be super tight.

Brakes - keep an eye on the classifieds at Swedespeed.com - most of the V70Rs are now being parted out either from owners who can't pay to fix it up or from younger drivers wrecking the superfast wagons.

getspooled
03-11-2016, 08:36 AM
OBX is no longer being produced, cheapest for a straight pipe would be custom pipe, I can't see a shop charging much for two flanges, 90*, 45*, straight section, and a flex joint. I have a catted RaceS60R pipe, Eurosport Tuning usually has a sale between now and early summer for their catted pipe.
Are there any other options besides EST or IPD? IPD is quality but really pricey, like $1900 for a turbo back setup LOL. I may just do a cat back system first, easy install.