PDA

View Full Version : Another transmission thread. Rebuilt vs New? Just valve body or whole thing?

Go see cal
02-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Hey all, newb to the forum but no stranger to volvos.

So this whole love/hate thing started when i purchased my first volvo in a few years for my wife at auction. The car a 2001 xc t5 turbo. No issues where noted. I got in and made one left turn and all of a sudden the trans just stopped working. Right as it went from 1st to 2nd it seemed.

Thus began a learning experience.

Tried selling it. No dice. We concluded we'd take the high road and fix it.

Durring this time I've bought and sold 6 volvos in these years. There great cars once you fix the issues.

So heres the questions I pose to you all.

Valve bodys. Rebuild or replace? Seems to be people divided on one or the other.

To me replacing a faulty part with a oem unit is just asking for the same issues later

While a reman or rebuilt unit from a company like level 10 will have improvment fixing some of these issues.

And on that note how do you tell if a valve body will solve the issues or not.

Go see cal
02-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Follow up.

2001xc 152,038 miles.
Trans works only when stone cold.
Tcm throws 002f lock-up funtion code

JRL
02-29-2016, 04:35 PM
That means the torque converter is shot. All the valvebodiesin the world will not help the issue.
Rebuild or replace the tranny

Astro14
03-01-2016, 06:31 AM
"Trans just stopped working" = rebuild time.

Sorry. If it stopped working, it's toast. A worn valve body (low line pressure) will cause slow (which means harsh or clunky) shifts. If the gear won't engage, then that clutch is shot. And only a rebuild can fix that...

I would choose to rebuild a valve body over replacement. You ensure compatibility. A good rebuilder will re-sleeve the worn solenoid housing with a Sonnax kit, permanently fixing the problem.

But, in your case, I don't think a valve body will solve your problem. A good rebuild will include rebuilding the valve body, not just replacement of the transmission soft parts.

T5, by the way, is a trim level in the Volvo line. Bigger brakes, stiffer springs, larger sway bars, sport seats, geartronic or manual transmission, and a higher pressure, smaller displacement engine with more power than the XC or 2.4T.

So, you have either a T5, or an XC...but not both.

Go see cal
03-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys.

It does work but only when stone cool. It surprised me today after sitting for a week it moved under its own power up the driveway and in the garage.

I have 2 other XC's both 02s one has a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. But its on its second trans, was replaced with a fwd s60 trans and they took out the dif/rear driveline.

The other bangs/hard shifts only when at operating temp.

I love these cars and really want to learn as much as i can about the proper path ro repairingbthere issues.

JRL
03-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Rebuilt transmission or in the least a rebuilt valvebody
Depends on the year and mileage
After that there are plenty of threads as to how to keep them running and shifting properly for a long time!