PDA

View Full Version : PS Fluid is NOT Green!

zotparkerm
02-23-2016, 12:26 PM
I purchased my mom's cousin's (brother's girlfriend's ex-husband's etc) XC70 about a year ago.
It's a 2002 and had a whopping 70K miles on it, garage kept, beautiful.
The cousin was exceedingly meticulous and a hypochondriac with the car - he had it in the dealership every month it seems and they are the only ones to do work, including a PS pump replacement and flush.
Sooooo, why do I have red fluid?
I have started to have some steering noise and had a leak. I replaced the reservoir and cap a few weeks ago, and, after discovering red fluid, just put the old fluid back in (fortunately, I had used a clean turkey baster and jar to store the stuff I drew out of the reservoir).
But it is low and I need to top it off.

What should I do?

Should I buy 2 or 3 liters of Pentosin and replace, or do I need to do something more thorough?

Thanks.

Astro14
02-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Buy two liters of Pentosin and replace. Disconnect the return hose and flush it with fresh, correct, fluid.

The owner's manual for that year said "ATF" - but that's a mistake. And Volvo will only sell you their PS Fluid, which is rebadged Pentosin.

Iroll_
02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Turkey Baster... Two quarts of Pentosin CH-11 ( 201 works, CH-11 is factory fill). An hour of your time, some shop rags.
With the car off, siphon the old ps fluid out...add Pentosin.
Repeat this process until the fluid is nice and green.
Do not overfill.
Good time to check for leaks at your clamps or PS cap..( I had a faulty PS cap that was causing too much pressure in the reservoir).
Fluid and OEM cap are available through NAPA.
Good luck.

zotparkerm
02-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.