PDA

View Full Version : OK, Need Suggestions On This One

billr99
02-21-2016, 11:21 AM
I've got an extremely annoying situation that I've tried a number of things to sort and now, still with the problem, I've run out of ideas.

Last winter I put the left front tire into a fair size pothole at speed. By Spring it was clear that I had damaged something in that corner as evidenced by rattles and looseness, feeling like they were right under my feet. Because the front struts needed changed anyway I proceeded to replace the struts (with Monroe OESpectrum), the upper spring seats (with Boge), and strut mounts (with Lemforder). In the course of doing this work, I also ended up replacing the ball joint (it was pretty much gone - with Lemforder) and the wheel bearing. I run this car (the '02) with Eibach springs (lower than stock in the front by about 2 inches) and 235/60-16 tires on stock XC alloys.

As best I can recall now, everything was fine at first, but I soon developed a sound best described as a "crunch" when that left corner goes from extreme compression to rebound while turning right. The weird thing is that it only occurs at two particular corners. The first is a moderate right hander with a good slump right on the correct line for the left side for that corner, speed can be between about 65 km/hr and 85 km/hr. The other is a low speed (30-35 km/hr) extreme right hander turning from one city street onto another with a drainage grate (about 2 inches below grade) right where the left tire travels. In both cases, they are corners where the car takes a weird dynamic, dropping down into the depression then coming out of it fairly abruptly but not with an impact like you would get on a straight-walled pothole. The noise occurs not on compression but when it rebounds almost to the point where it begins to settle back down. Of course, this all occurs over the span of milliseconds. It rarely, nearly never, occurs anywhere else and if I take slightly different lines in either of the mentioned corners with much less dynamic change in the suspension, it doesn't do it or does it with less of a noise. It does not occur on any degree of left handers or when straight ahead. I've thought it might be the plastic skid plate hitting something, tire rub, all the usual stuff.

Pretty much throughout last summer and off and on until today, I've nosed around trying to figure out what's going on. Seeing absolutely no evidence of rubbing anywhere (my first thought being lowered and running 235s), I resorted to changing out any piece I thought might be part of it. So since the noise began, I've changed out front sway bar bushings (with poly), endlinks (using greasable Chrysler Concorde links) and both inner and outer tie rods (with Lemforder). I also replaced with no effect but due to some wear the short side halfshaft and lower steering shaft. The A-arm bushes were replaced about 50K kms ago but other than slight stress cracking, they appear to be OK. And for what its worth, the car went thru its bi-annual provincial safety check back in November where they do a fair check of the suspension bits with no problems. As part of trying to sort this I also swapped strut assemblies side-to-side, reinstalled a decent set of Lemforder endlinks and re-torqued every fastener I could think of that might be coming into play. Also the front sway bar shows no sign of shifting side to side in the poly bushings. All of this had absolutely no effect on the noise sound or intensity or when it occurs; so it's not like something is loosening up or ready to fall off.

So I'm stumped. The only thing not replaced are the A-arm bushes put I can't see them being a problem considering their condition. The ones I just replaced on my '05 were way worse and that car does not demonstrate the same problem. It also does not have a modified suspension either. Any ideas...other than going slower, taking a different route, or putting up with it. All these suggestions have already been mentioned by SWMBO and politely rejected by me.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, etc.

Cheers,

Bill

packetfire
02-21-2016, 05:03 PM
With that sound effect, I'd check the sway bar bushings (again!) and the motor mounts, on the assumption that everything replaced is good parts, and all bolts were checked for torque.
The poly bushings tend to transmit more vibration and noise than the rubber ones.

billr99
02-21-2016, 06:24 PM
With that sound effect, I'd check the sway bar bushings (again!) and the motor mounts, on the assumption that everything replaced is good parts, and all bolts were checked for torque.
The poly bushings tend to transmit more vibration and noise than the rubber ones.

The engine mounts have all been replaced in the last year for so and the big fore and aft mounts about 40K kms ago.

Sway bar bushings and their mounts have been checked. As it is, the noise was there before they were changed and the noise actually gave me an excuse to tackle the job of changing them out.

Thanks much for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Bill

8pack
02-21-2016, 07:08 PM
I know you replaced them, but spring seats make that crunching noise when they are bad.....

JRL
02-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Why would you go with Boge spring seats when it has been said over and over to use VOLVO (or ipd HD) spring seats

2002V70XC
02-22-2016, 05:40 PM
I have no experience diagnosing these issues but have you thought of swapping left <-> right strut assemblies? I think it would give you a definite answer as in whether the noise is coming from the front left strut assembly.
If you do your own alignment then that would be a big bonus in this case. $120 AUD + time for an alignment is a little bit much for me.
If it was me, I would definitely bring it to a trusted suspension shop to get them to diagnose the issue because that wouldn't cost money. And you might as well get them to do an alignment job if they could identified the issue.

Cheers

billr99
02-22-2016, 06:01 PM
I have no experience diagnosing these issues but have you thought of swapping left <-> right strut assemblies? I think it would give you a definite answer as in whether the noise is coming from the front left strut assembly.
If you do your own alignment then that would be a big bonus in this case. $120 AUD + time for an alignment is a little bit much for me.
If it was me, I would definitely bring it to a trusted suspension shop to get them to diagnose the issue because that wouldn't cost money. And you might as well get them to do an alignment job if they could identified the issue.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion and I have swapped the complete assemblies side-to-side. Didn't change anything.

Interestingly, I'm beginning to think it might be the endlink on that side even though the noise has been there with two different ones. I usually torque the nuts on the end link to spec and a bit and have no issues. So I went out and gave each end a blast of the old impact wrench. Not sure what the torque is now as I had the settings all the way up on the wrench. So far the noise is way less but I need to see if it comes back after a few runs up these local roads and back. That should loosen just about anything up if it isn't tight enough. Weird though if this is it finally.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Bill

billr99
02-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Why would you go with Boge spring seats when it has been said over and over to use VOLVO (or ipd HD) spring seats

Yeah, I know. But at the time that they were needed, I had to buy local and this is what was available. At least Boge is one of the OEM suppliers to the factory and I got XC90 ones even though I could see no difference between the two.

Cheers,

Bill

2002V70XC
02-23-2016, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestion and I have swapped the complete assemblies side-to-side. Didn't change anything.

Interestingly, I'm beginning to think it might be the endlink on that side even though the noise has been there with two different ones. I usually torque the nuts on the end link to spec and a bit and have no issues. So I went out and gave each end a blast of the old impact wrench. Not sure what the torque is now as I had the settings all the way up on the wrench. So far the noise is way less but I need to see if it comes back after a few runs up these local roads and back. That should loosen just about anything up if it isn't tight enough. Weird though if this is it finally.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Bill

maybe those endlink aren't "HD" enough for the XC Bill?
It would be weird if its the endlink though! Can the control arm bushings make those crunching noise?

billr99
02-23-2016, 05:32 AM
maybe those endlink aren't "HD" enough for the XC Bill?
It would be weird if its the endlink though! Can the control arm bushings make those crunching noise?

Well it isn't the end link in itself but the connection between the link and and the strut, I think. Not sure what's different but if my current theory holds and it is that the upper bolt isn't tight enough, it's a new one on me. I've had them rattle, groan and make just about every other sound when loose or worn, but not this one. Plus when I install them, I torque them to spec then give them a bit extra. Perhaps I'm getting weak in my old age, but I did manage to get the right side one done up enough. Weird deal. One thing I have considered is if the 50% bigger rod diameter over stock links might not be allowing a certain amount of flex that is engineered into the stock link's diameter. But they do tighten the steering up nicely plus I have them on my '05 as well with no problem. Additionally, they are not even close to the links I had on my 850R that I made out of spherical joints and aluminum sprint car radius rods. Those had a diameter of about 3/4in.

As far as the A-arm bushes, again I've had some bad ones in past that didn't do this, plus these are in fairly good nick. Most of the time I've had bad bushes, the suspension gets clunky and you can feel it through the steering. The facts are that with all these new bits and with everything presumably torqued down enough, the steering is nicely tight.

One way or another, I should know today if my impact wrench work on this problem solves anything. I need to go to my kid's place which sits down 10 kms of forest track that has had a fair amount of recent logging truck traffic it. Always guaranteed to throughly test any bits and bobs that might not quite be right. If it isn't sorted, not sure what I can do to get more clamping force into those nuts on the endlink. According to my impact wrench spec sheet, its possible that I might have close to 4-500 ft/lbs on them since I had the setting on the wrench maxed as well as the air up too. And there isn't a tonne of slop in how that endlink stud fits in the hole in the strut either. In other words, there isn't much slippage if any.

Cheers,

Bill

Reverend
02-23-2016, 07:51 AM
My first thought was the strut bearings. Those things tend to crunch when they get old. If you suspect the sway bar links, can't you just remove them and drive around and listen for the crunch? If it's gone and then comes back when you reattach them, you've found your culprits.

I didn't see you mention swapping the strut bearings, so I keep coming back to those.

JRL
02-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Bad...
Control arm bushings can crunch
Bearing plates can crunch
Spring seats can crunch
End links do not crunch, they just rattle

billr99
02-24-2016, 05:53 AM
Bad...
Control arm bushings can crunch
Bearing plates can crunch
Spring seats can crunch
End links do not crunch, they just rattle

After yesterday's jaunt down some fairly rough roads disproved my endlink theory and since everything but the A-arm bushes have been replaced with no effect on the noise, it is looking like a new A-arm is next.

Have to say, this is the weirdest and hardest to sort noise problem I've had with any of my FWD/AWD Volvos. Oh well, onward and upward!

Cheers,

Bill

billr99
02-24-2016, 05:55 AM
My first thought was the strut bearings. Those things tend to crunch when they get old. If you suspect the sway bar links, can't you just remove them and drive around and listen for the crunch? If it's gone and then comes back when you reattach them, you've found your culprits.

I didn't see you mention swapping the strut bearings, so I keep coming back to those.

Yep, replaced new with Lemforder when the struts were changed out. I'm down to the A-arm bushes as the only thing that hasn't been changed to try and sort this problem. Guess I'll be ordering an A-arm today.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill