PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction - 2007 XC70

mymomhadthis
02-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Hey there,

Introductory post. Today I purchased a 2007 XC70. Blue (please educate me on exactly the color) with oak interior. She's done 118k miles before I had it. Signed out the door with a full timing belt service for $7500. Leaves me with about $500 left over from insurance from totaling my pervious car that I will put aside for impeding doom.

In my family, there have been the following a 1998 V70, 2001 S60, 2004 XC70, 2008(?) XC70, 2013 S60 (my dad's current car), and now this. So I've had Volvos all my life.

I've personally driven a 1999 VW Passat, 2003 VW Passat, 2005 Subaru Legacy, and now this 2007 XC70.

I've been browsing the forums for the last few days leading up to the trip down to the dealer today getting ideas as to what to look for. The lot had 8 or so P2 XC70's but I was only interested in 06-07 of which they had 4. First one had no rear speakers, second one was solid but had a strange knock/tapping after warming up and this one was the most solid. Looked it all over no visible rust on the springs, no damage, clear headlights, Pirelli tires with lots of tread left on it. Needed a timing belt service like I said and the dealer said he'd get it done for $100 more so I took the offer. Picking it up Monday.

I've done some work on my VW's in the past, serpentine belts, spark plugs, oil changes, brakes etc. so I'm not completely inept around a car but I'm defintiely not as skilled as some of you. The stuff on this site amazes me.

JRL
02-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Your picture is sideways, annoying
Make sure he's not just throwing a belt on, it needs both tensioners along with the belt
The color is called BARENTS Blue
Check the breather (PCV) system pressure
Change the oil IMMEDIATELY to synthetic
You will need more than $500 to rebuild your suspension which is about due (soon enough)!

billr99
02-14-2016, 05:53 AM
Well, if you've worked on an '03 Passat. you'll find working on an XC to be relatively straight forward exercise. I had in my possession for a bit my son's '05 Passat TDI wagon which was a nice ride with good space, but was a real bitch to work on especially with some of the tasks you are looking at with your new '07. I'll work on XC front suspensions all day long to avoid ever having to mess about again with a B5 Passat suspension. Although your dealer is doing the belt change for you; in comparison to the Passat, the XC is dead easy.

Good luck with the new ride

Cheers,

Bill

8pack
02-14-2016, 05:58 AM
Your picture is sideways, annoying
Make sure he's not just throwing a belt on, it needs both tensioners along with the belt
The color is called BARENTS Blue
Check the breather (PCV) system pressure
Change the oil IMMEDIATELY to synthetic
You will need more than $500 to rebuild your suspension which is about due (soon enough)!

My '07 has been very solid with virtually nothing but regular maintenance until the last 10k miles.

+1 on what JRL said, especially make sure he changed out the pulleys and tensioner with the timing belt change. Your tensioner is a candidate for failure if not replaced with the belts. . Also:

Do a drain and fill on the transmission fluid. Seach on it. . Better yet do a gibbons flush. Search on it. The #1 thing to increase the life if your vehicle is regular synthetic oil changes and changing 3.2 quarts of transmission fluid out at least every 15k miles. I do it every oil change now.

I would also get ahead of the PCV update. Expensive if someone else does it so save up to get that done on the next 5-10k miles latest.

On the suspension, make sure ball joints and tie rods etc are all good. The stuff that can make your wheels fall off. Orherwise, do it when you feel like the car is riding like crap.

I keep a,spare coil pack in the car and a little tool kit to change it. You can change one in 10 mins on the side of the road if necessary.

Get at least a genetic OBD II reader. It can be used on all your cars. It wil point you in the right direction if you have issues. Ideally a VIDA/DICE set up but that is a bigger investment and volvo only.

Have the codes checked NOW somewhere other than where you bought it. Make sure there are no pending codes and that he didn't just clear them to turn off the CEL.

Good luck and Welcome!

Rabid Koala
02-17-2016, 07:39 PM
I have had an 06 in Barents Blue for little less than a year. Bought with 124K, now 132K, a second car for us. To date, anything that has required fixing has been fixed in my driveway with my own labor. Timing belt, water pump, etc. I did end links on the front and have replaced a noisy AC blower motor, all successfully. Working on them requires patience and occasionally some unique tools, but you can do it if you put your mind and some common sense to it.

2001_XC70
02-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Hello guys, I just got my first volvo a couple of weeks ago, it is a 2001 V70XC with a 504,000 kms, it needs a lot of work, so far I did a full brake job, boots on front axle are broken, got a used set and got new boots inner and outter from volvo, got all the fluids, tranny, brakes, rear dif, front dif and rear clutch, driver side lower tail light was broken so I search for a used one and already replaced. Today I got a new set of shock from dealer so tomorrow will take the parts to the shop. Right now is -15 where I live so I had taken the car to a shop. Usually I do all my work on my cars. Propeller shaft has a bad hanger bearing, I haven't been able to find a used one that match my car. I am not sure if I can remove it and change only the bearing. I will try to remove it and service it since I really don't feel like spending 1700 from dealer on a new one. If anyone has seen one on a junker please let me know.

billr99
02-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Propeller shaft has a bad hanger bearing, I haven't been able to find a used one that match my car. I am not sure if I can remove it and change only the bearing. I will try to remove it and service it since I really don't feel like spending 1700 from dealer on a new one. If anyone has seen one on a junker please let me know.

Couple of ways to deal with the driveshaft. Rock Auto currently shows a Dorman products for close to $700 CDN plus shipping. There are also listings on eBay. Second option is to take it to a driveshaft shop and have it rebuilt. Not sure if there are any in the GTA, but we have a guy down this way who is a Volvo-only indy that rebuilds the shafts on the older cars by cutting them so that the hanger bearing can be removed. He then uses a 200 series bearing, welds the shaft back together and balances it. The folks I've talked to that have had it done are very pleased with the work and at the time he was only charging a bit over $400. Plus I think he even gave it a bit of paint too. Probably a bit more now as that was a couple of years ago. Any road, surely there is someone in the GTA that can do similar work for a price better than $1700.

Good Luck,

Bill

CapeMayXC70
02-21-2016, 01:40 PM
I have a brand new driveshaft that was a closeout from Rockauto that I will let go. Still in box never opened. It was for my 05 XC70.

JRL
02-22-2016, 02:21 PM
05 will probably NOT fit a 2001