PDA

View Full Version : Brakes for 2002 xc70

kartboy1234
02-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Hello everyone, I am looking at replacing the rotors and pads on my car. I have been looking at different options, all OEM, Bosch QuietCast rotors and pads, or stoptech sportstop rotors with some ceramic pads.
http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?P_ID=11214&V_ID=17550&strPageHistory=basket -quite cast rotors
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=StopTech&model=SportStop+Drilled+Rotor&group=Cross-Drilled+Replacement+Rotor&128.39029L_Qty=1&autoMake=Volvo&autoModel=V70+XC&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=&partnum=128.39029R&i1_Qty=1 Stoptech rotors.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
Also, what are the front and rear rotor sizes in mm?
Thank you. I will be doing the work myself. I live in California if that makes a difference.

kartboy1234
02-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Any other rotor and pad recommendations would be appreciated as well.

IVIUSTANG
02-01-2016, 10:28 PM
From personal experience, I would strongly recommend Raybestos Element 3 brake pads; for the longest time I had issues with very squeaky brakes(brand new with anti squeal paste). I tried generic semi metallic pads, ceramics etc. These are the absolute best pads I have ever driven, the cold bite is incredible and I have had zero squeaks... finally!!

Jesse

Xfingers
02-02-2016, 08:23 AM
I used Bosch Quietcast rotors/pads for front and rear brakes last spring. They were at a competitive price on FCPEuro and had an additional rebate to boot! My previous rotors were badly worn and the improvement with the Bosch Quietcast was like night and day. Are they competitive with the best brands on the market? I have no idea, but they gave me a huge improvement over my worn rotors and I couldn't be happier!
Note: Try to assess how well your parking brake is working. Put car on slight incline, move gear to Neutral, apply parking brake, release brake pedal. If car moves, consider also getting new parking brake shoes. When you remove your old rear brake rotors, you'll have access to the brake shoes. On my 2002 XC, the original brake shoes were shot, delaminated, broken into pieces!

Astro14
02-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Two front rotor sizes exist. Your XC came with 285mm (11") rotors, but it's easy to upgrade them to 305mm (12") with just a bracket change, so your best bet is to measure them to be certain.

I've used Brembo rotors on both Volvos. And I've use Akebono ceramic pads. They're quiet, have lasted nearly 100,000 miles and still look good. They make no noise and no dust. People complain about the cold bite with these pads, but I've not noticed anything. I've got Akebono pads on both Volvos and both Mercedes. I think they're great.

Given the age, I would get parking brake shoes and a hardware kit. Both together will run about $60. Just replace all that while the rear rotors are off to preclude broken shoes messing up your rear wheel hub(s).

kartboy1234
02-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am going to get the Bosch Quitecast rotors and pads. I will just order new parking brake pads. Do you guys think I need the hardware kit?

Astro14
02-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Springs get old. Sometimes they break. I would get the hardware kit, so that no matter what you find under the rear rotor, you've got new parts to install.

crewsr
02-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Second on the akebono pads. They feel nice, don't make noise and don't make dust. I used bosch quietcast rotors when I did mine, no problems to report. FCP has some nice kits that also include lube and fancy german hand cleaner. I didn't replace my ebrake shoes when I did the rears and I wish I had. The old rotors were stuck on and were aggravating to remove; wear ear protection if/when you eventually decide to use a hammer to pound them off 'cause that tish is loud...

vtl
02-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Original brakes work great, I see no reason installing anything else.

kartboy1234
02-17-2016, 09:08 PM
My parts are slowly coming in. I'll probably get around to the brake job next week. I have all new bolts, springs, rotors, pads. Anything I should watch out for? Or any good videos that I should watch? I know how to replace brakes but I like watching model specific videos.

jaip
02-18-2016, 06:13 AM
i swapped out the pins on the brake shoes for adjustable ones.

Xfingers
02-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Here's some youtube vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t62t5vY_bA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzCfPjMs_CM
This is a long vid but it gave me a feel for what to expect when replacing the rear parking brake shoes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK7kDYrxKU4

I didn't have a 7mm hex driver socket lying around to remove the caliper bolts so I had to buy a socket set at Lowes (not sold individually). Make sure you have a way/tool to compress the calipers; I was able to finagle a large C-clamp in there but it was kinda tricky. This is from memory so I could be off but seems like when I was removing the upper 15mm caliper bolt on the LH driver front brake, my socket wrench had a clearance issue with the lower bolt of the strut assembly. Removed this lower bolt and reinstalled afterwards. Long needle-nosed pliers helped with the springs that attach to the rear brake shoes.

kartboy1234
02-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the videos and advise. I have never replaced parking brake pads and hardware before. I'm assuming it will be pretty straight forward. Right?

Xfingers
02-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Dealing with the springs for the parking brake shoes has been a hassle for some people but after watching the video and studying this tutorial, http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/parking-brake-shoes-replacing.pdf, it went pretty smoothly for me. There is a technique for reassembling the springs/spacer bar with the new shoes which I don't remember exactly. It's almost like a puzzle you have to play around with but once you figure it out for the first side, the second wheel will be a piece of cake. Also, you may need to adjust the handbrake afterwards as discussed in the tutorial.

kartboy1234
02-21-2016, 07:56 PM
I replaced the front pads and rotors today. No problems at all. The pads and rotors were quite worn. I accidentally only ordered two of each caliper bracket bolts. So I will pick up another set at the dealer. The guide for the parking brake removal is very helpful. Thanks for posting it.

Xfingers
02-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Maybe it's clear in the tutorial but grab the two small parking brake springs in the center with your needle-nose pliers and PUSH IN to hook/unhook the springs.

kartboy1234
02-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Well I replaced the rear brakes. The parking brake replacement was a pain. The hardware kit I ordered off of Amazon that claimed that it fits my car doesn't fit. The springs are smaller. The brakes are making a fair amount of noise so I will drive the car and let it break in. The parking brake isn't working So I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

Xfingers
02-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Not sure if you've tried to "bed in" the brakes. You can get some general info on the process by googling. It's something like drive the car to maybe 40mph and then brake to 10mph. Do this something like 3x. Also, I remember my new parking brake shoes didn't do squat after I first installed them but there is a process at the end of the tutorial I linked to: "Drive the car at
30 km/h. Apply the parking brake lever until the car stops. This allows the brake shoes to bed into the brake drum..." I think I had to do this 2-3 times and then the parking brake started to hold the car. I also had to tighten the parking brake cable a number of times before it would engage within the suggested 5-click range of movement for the brake lever.

kartboy1234
02-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks Xfingers. I have been bedding in the parking brake pads. They are getting a lot better. I still have some noise coming from the pads but I have to drive on the freeway today, I assume that will bed the pads. Thanks for all of the help. It was a pretty easy job.

Xfingers
02-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Yeah, kartboy1234, hopefully that noise you're getting will clear itself up. I didn't get any noise after I replaced my pads and rotors. I'm assuming you applied the anti-squeal paste/lube to the caliper pins and brake pads like they show in the videos.

kartboy1234
02-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Xfingers, I did apply the grease to the pins and the pad guides. The noise I'm getting is from the rear and it happens at a certain point when both rotors spin. It happens if I'm braking or not and if my parking brake is on or not.

8pack
02-29-2016, 04:54 AM
Nice clean mounting between the rotor and the hub. Not off just a bit with some crud behind it? Same for wheel? Did you check the bearings? I assume it is a squeal so not likely the bearings. Rubbing or grinding noise could be bearings.

Xfingers
02-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Xfingers, I did apply the grease to the pins and the pad guides. The noise I'm getting is from the rear and it happens at a certain point when both rotors spin. It happens if I'm braking or not and if my parking brake is on or not.

I'd echo what 8pack said. Give us some more info on the noise. It wasn't there prior to your brake job? It's there whether or not you're applying brakes so I'm guessing it's not brake "squeal" from pads and rotors vibrating when contacting each other. Can you pinpoint the noise coming from one rear wheel or the other? Is it a rotational thumping or clicking noise suggesting one of your rotors is making contact with an adjacent surface as it spins? Sometimes the softer metal around the outside of the rotors can get bent while you're working. You're probly gonna have to take the wheels off and have a look. The metal wire clips which you snap on over the brake pads to hold them in place can be tricky to install so check with the video to make sure they're on properly. Is your parking brake adjusted and working correctly? If you're getting a rattling noise, possibly one of your brake shoes is loose and moving around.