PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Locked out of car and Master key not working

gescob3
01-13-2016, 10:28 PM
After leaving my car parked for about 2.5 hours since last driving it when I went returned to my car the FOB wouldn't open it. The red light was flashing for the anti-theft so there must have been some power, but after trying and trying with the FOB the car won't unlock.

I tried manually opening with the key in the drivers lock. It will enter, but not turn whatsoever.

I tried replacing the battery of the FOB and returned to my car, but had no success with that either.

Any guidance or theories on why I can't manually open the car or bigger picture how to figure this out would be much appreciated. I am parked in an area of Chicago were I will be ticketed daily.

I had something similar happen about 2.5 years ago with the FOB where the car didn't seem to have enough power to open the doors, but the anti-theft was still active. In that situation I was already physically in the car and was able to jump it to get things working. The problem is that I can't even get inside the car as master key doesn't seem to be working in the lock.

Astro14
01-14-2016, 12:48 AM
You're not turning hard enough. Go try again, and apply strong, steady pressure. You've got to overcome the solenoid holding the lock, not just the lock itself.

gescob3
01-14-2016, 06:15 AM
You're not turning hard enough. Go try again, and apply strong, steady pressure. You've got to overcome the solenoid holding the lock, not just the lock itself.

I really feel like if i try harder i'll break the key, but I'll try again. Just to make sure am i turning the key clockwise or counter?

hoonk
01-14-2016, 06:36 AM
- Stating the obvious if you're in a cold climate - Locks can freeze, water gets in, cold does the rest, warm water solves it, or maybe a warm key

If your car has a 3rd seat there should be a key tumbler that opens the tailgate next to the tag lights. - If not

It is very easy to break into the car using a coat hanger - The trick is to pry the top of the window frame out (preferably on the passenger side so if you happen to scratch the window frame you don't see it every time you get in the car) I use a large screwdriver (with a shop rag as padding) That gives enough room to slide a coat hanger in to pull the inside stick. Usually takes less than 15 seconds. (Have had to do this many times as keys have been locked in cars)

Locksmiths have inflatable wedges to pry the window frame out to create enough space -

Iroll_
01-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Call AAA, they have a knumatic pump that goes between the door and frame of the car; the tech' will then insert a really fancy device that looks like a coat hangar to open the door- way better than scratches or dents on your car.