PDA

View Full Version : Another advice request re: Trans flush/ATF fluid

ddmd
01-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Pretty new to this forum. I have a 2000 V70XC with 180,000 miles. The ATF has been flushed at a Volvo dealer at 35, 70, 110, and 145K
with Dexron III, is still clean and pink, and shifts smoothly. I also just purchased a 1999 V70XC with 57,000 miles privately, with a history of a
transmission flush at 30,000 miles with an unknown ATF(there is no paperwork but a sticker from a Volvo dealer in the engine compartment
"documents" an ATF flush at 30K and it's also recorded on the CARFAX). It shifts smoothly and is reddish-brown and smells OK.
I thought I would would perform an ATF flush on both so I've read a lot of forum info on the transmission flush and ATF type for the AW 50-42 4-spd transmission.
(same trans in both cars as per the owner's manual).

As I understand it(and please correct me if I'm wrong):
1. Dexron III is called for in the owner’s manual for the AW 50-42.
2. A Volvo service bulletin calls for the use of JWS 3309 Spec ATF for "hard lockup engagement/disengagement in the AW 50-42 transmissions".
Doing a search for that service bulletin (http://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/s70/l5-2.4l_vin_61_b5244s/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/cooling_system/radiator/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins_for_radiator/4430029/may/00/a/t_hard_lockup_engagement/disengagement/) also references using Dexron IIIG Spec ATF. Are JWS 3309 and Dexron III G the same thing?
3. I've read that Dexron III and JWS 3309 should not be mixed, so a complete flush (16 qts) would be needed to change from Dexron III to JWS 3309 or Dexron III G.

My questions:
1. On the 2000 XC, since I haven’t had transmission lockup issues, should I just continue using
Dexron III since it’s been used with all of the previous flushes?
2. On the 1999, I’ll have to do a full flush since the previous fluid used is unknown. Again, Dex III or JWS 3309?

The advice from 3 Volvo dealers with these questions (sheesh):
Dealer 1. We only use Dex III (not aware of the bulletin)
Dealer 2. We only use Dex III (hadn’t heard of the JWS3309 spec)
Dealer 3. We perform a full flush with 3309 on all of these transmissions,
whether or not the harsh lockup exists.

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

JRL
01-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Answered on the other site you posted this but DEX 3 will be fine

ddmd
01-11-2016, 04:39 PM
FYI: I went to the Dealership and talked to one of the technicians who has been there for many years. Apparently, while they will use the JWS 3309 in the AW 50-42 transmissions
that experience the hard lockup engagement/disengagement issues, they generally still use the Dex III in these transmissions. The JWS 3309 ATF can certainly be
used (and some of their customers insist on it), but the Dex III is less expensive and works fine. He did recommend a full flush in
the '99 with the unknown ATF flush at 30K since you do have to be careful not to mix the two formulations. So Dex III it is for both cars.