PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!!!!!

fthngrg
07-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Hi, my 98 XC with almost 57K miles is making me crazy. The warning lights for the Traction control system and the ABS system will come on together for a few minutes and then go out. Is this due to a lose wire in either system? Are those systems linked somehow? The other problem I am having intermittently is that when I first start the car, there is a sound like that of a jet engine revving up that is coming from the right side of the engine compartment. When this happened before, while under warranty, the dealer replaced the air pump. Now that that replacement is out of warranty by 3 weeks, the same thing is happening again. Have any of you experienced similar problems? If so, what did you find out or how did you fix them short of selling the car? Thanks http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

daniel
07-28-2002, 04:48 AM
Hi,

(ABS+TRACS)I have a same problem, with my 850T5 '96.I change 3 sensor (ABS) and nothing is change.Finaly i change the computer wich control the ABS+TRACS , and now is ok.

Be carefull, because when the ligts ABS+TRACS is ON, the ABS systems it does not work http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

07-28-2002, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the response. In checking a couple other site (volvospeed.com and brickboard.com) I found some detailed info about exactly what you mentioned. There are basically 4 possible causes. According to the volvospeed site, the sensors are rarely the problem. It is more likely bad electrical connection on the ignition switch, a bas ABS/Tracs module or failure of the hydraulic block or pump. I checked my ignition and that's not it. So, as you said, I suspect the ABS/Tracs module has gone bad.

07-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Similar experiences with my 98xc. The TRACS/ABS problem was intermittant, but very scary as I could feel it in the brake pedal. Ended up having to replace ABS module at a cost of $600 (this was about 2,000 miles out of warranty). I recently began getting the same 'jet engine' noise out of the right front side of the engine compartment. It goes away after a few minutes, but it can't be good. Let me know if you find out anything.  In 70,000 I also had to replace the steering rack, rotors, and a bunch of other stuff. Its the worst vehicle I have ever owned.

Jeff N
01-07-2003, 08:54 PM
I too had the same problem with our 98 X-C/83,000 miles.
Replaced one wheel sensor/no fix. Determined it was the ABS control module that was the culprit.

brainjack
05-05-2003, 02:55 PM
I don't know whether to be mad or relieved that there are others out there who are having problems with their 98xc's.  Since dropping off warranty at 50k our car has continually been in the shop.  I have told both my dealer and Volvo North America that after driving Volvos for the last 18 years, I'm finished with them.  There are too many fine Japanese cars out there without even a fraction of the problems these cars have.

Gerald
05-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi, I agree with you brainjack about volvo losing their reliability in these first generation xc's, although I think '02 and on have improved a lot. There are a lot of reliable japanese cars out there but I don't know too many that look like or do what the XC does especially if you need the extra space. XC's have a lot of little electrical design problems and lot of emissions related parts that don't hold up like o2 sensors, check valves & air pumps etc. and I won't go into the possible awd problems. I might have got a bit lucky with my used '98 and currently the only thing that's bugging me is the bubbling door panels. You may have a good stretch of reliability once you get your repairs done. Good luck! ~Gerald

vhyman
05-11-2003, 04:37 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gerald @ May 05 2003,20:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I might have got a bit lucky with my used &#39;98 and currently the only thing that&#39;s bugging me is the bubbling door panels. You may have a good stretch of reliability once you get your repairs done.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This was my thought exactly. &nbsp;I picked up a &#39;98 with 140k km and an extended warranty figuring everything that could possibly go wrong would while under warranty. &nbsp;So far that seems to be happening and since warrenty covers a rental I think that all in all it is working out pretty well&#33;

As for the bubbling door panels, the service guy at my dealership suggested a body shop could use a syringe in inject glue into the pocket. &nbsp;Any thoughts on that or DIY?

xclogan
05-11-2003, 05:13 PM
No idea... &nbsp;on this one.

As some of you know this is my 8th Volvo. All of them driven hard and long. &nbsp;The only one I have had an issue with was, ironicly, the first one (a 1980 245). &nbsp;It had been &#39;salvaged&#39; and the dealer did not inform be before hand. &nbsp;Which explained why the brakes did not always stop the car, why a lot of things did not work, why it did not always crank, or turn off. &nbsp;But soon I found my &#39;84 760, that had not had the engine wiring harness replaced and was a &#036;700 issue that was resolved. &nbsp;Later both fuel pumps died. &nbsp;But that was after I had put over 100k miles on the 760. &nbsp;None of the others (2 850s and the XC) have had any real issues.

I still would not have any other vehicle than an XC or some other Volvo. &nbsp;Pre 2000 if possible. &nbsp; &nbsp;Especially after getting over 502 miles range on the last tank of fuel.

Gerald
05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Hi , I am also enjoying some good fuel economy. On a recent 1000 km trip we averaged 9.3 L / 100km. I&#39;ve decided to gauge mileage in these terms because its difficult comparing those different sized gallons http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/lookaround.gif myself being north of 49. I&#39;m pretty impressed that a car of this size and capability gets this and not to mention its an AWD&#33;&#33; Volvo sure got it right with these I5 turbo&#39;s.

In regards to the bubbling panels, the vinyl they used simply shrunk and pulled away from the glued surface, and mine are stretched tight on a couple of doors. I wish the previous owner would have pushed harder to get the panels replaced. I&#39;m sure it would be &#036;1000 for all four now. If a guy had a panel off you would problably have to finish peeling off the vinyl, stretch it out without deforming it too much and contact cement both surfaces and carefully re-apply it and replace the panel. Ok, don&#39;t laugh at me&#33; It&#39;s possible&#33; &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Sorry for taking this thread off topic&#33; ~Gerald

vhyman
05-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Highway milage is amazing for a car this size. I recently went from Toronto to Philadelphia (800km) to Atlantic City (150km) back to Philadelphia (150km) to Toronto (800km) on 3 fills and I had 3/4 of a tank when I got home&#33; I set the cruise control at 125 km/h (about 75 mi/h) when possible and averaged 9 l/100km. Considering who hilly the drive is through the Poconos I was amazed. My wife wasn&#39;t so happy that I wanted to see just how far we could take it between fills. She insisted that we fill before getting to Philly (our first) at about the 700km mark but I was confident that if I lowered the cruise for the last bit to 110 km/h we would have made it fine.
That all said, city milage stinks&#33; &nbsp;If I get 17 l/100km I&#39;m going really well - maybe now that the snow is gone I&#39;ll see an improvement. &nbsp;Here&#39;s hoping&#33;

Marc Tardif
05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
We&#39;re having intermittent TRACS/ABS warnings too. &nbsp;And i can hear/feel the ABS buzz in the brake pedal as well in braking situations where ABS is definitely not justified. &nbsp;It happens most often in city driving conditions with a lot of stop and go. &nbsp;It has not happened on the highway.

I just bought the car a few weeks ago and one of the main reasons we selected this particular one was the fact that it is still under full warranty for another 45000km. &nbsp;Good for us.

The car is to be serviced by a local Volvo delearship asap. &nbsp;I&#39;ll tell them to replace the TRACS/ABS module and not bother searching for anything else.

The car is very unique (roominess, awd, fuel economy for the size, etc.) and i guess i&#39;m willing to accept some reliability issues. &nbsp;Heck, i was a die-hard VW Golf driver even if they had a poor reliability record.

vhyman
05-13-2003, 08:22 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Marc Tardif @ May 13 2003,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just bought the car a few weeks ago and one of the main reasons we selected this particular one was the fact that it is still under full warranty for another 45000km. Good for us.

The car is to be serviced by a local Volvo delearship asap. I&#39;ll tell them to replace the TRACS/ABS module and not bother searching for anything else.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The dealership will be able to tell you exactly what the problem is - since you just bought the car it should certainly be covered by the extended warranty. &nbsp;Good luck&#33;