PDA

View Full Version : Rotational squeak from rear

IVIUSTANG
12-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi guys,

I Have had a slowly developing intermittent rotational squeak(when drivetrain or wheels rotate) it is a very light but high pitched squeak that is not constant but seems to happen only once or twice per revolution. It can only be heard at speeds between 10-50 KM/H. It is as loud inside the car as outside; it's not awful but given EVERYTHING else about my wagon at 320,000K is solid and quiet it is a bit annoying.

Some direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jesse

Antherzoll
12-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Pull the hand brake up a bit, not a full click, just enough to expand the brake shoes, if it changes then it's the brakes shoes rubbing in the drum. Adjust the cable or try bringing the car to a stop from say 20km/h with the brake to see if it fixes it. Pull up the boot and there will be a 10mm nut that can be use to adjusted the cable.

Pennhaven
12-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Second Antherzoll's suggestion. I was experiencing these same symptoms. It was very intermittent, so put I up with it for a couple of months. I finally pulled the drum and found that one of parking shoe mounting springs was partially unseated which allowed the shoe to drift back and forth against the backing plate. I applied high temperature grease between the shoes and backing plate and reseated the spring. All quiet now.

Scopeman
12-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Rain Squeal? The insulation panel above the prop shaft may be touching the shaft. Several posts on this one.

AKAMick
12-18-2015, 06:14 PM
I had a similar squeak it was a broken return spring on one set of shoes of the handbrake, I replaced it and it no longer squeaked, so the previous comments on the brake shoes is good advice.

IVIUSTANG
12-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Ill check this out tomorrow, given that the other side parking brake exploded while driving and nearly started my car on fire; it's safe to assume the other side parking brake is shot as well.

Jesse

macsfamily
01-03-2016, 12:23 AM
I had this issue with our 04 XC70. Just throwing this out there. It turned out to be this:
On the prop shaft near the rear differential, there is some kind of pick up sensor. The prop shaft has a flange with some steel "senders" for the pick up sensor. They are cylinder in shape. Anyway, one of this steel pieces had come loose and started working itself out. It would make a loud, high pitched noise as it rubbed the pick up sensor when driving. The only way to repair it with new parts, is to replace the prop shaft. So, I bought some gorilla glue, pulled out the steel piece and glued it back in place. I did have to remove the prop shaft from the diff in order to get the steel piece out. You might be able to get by without doing that, and just apply the glue to the exposed portion of the steel piece. This happened approx. 2 years ago and has not reoccured since.

IVIUSTANG
01-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. In this case it turned out being my parking brake sticking :)

Cam
01-04-2016, 11:18 AM
I also have the same kind of squeak sound but it's most likely the prop shaft. I had it before I replaced rear breaks, rotors, and rebuilding the parking break assymblies. It was there after doing the brakes, much to my disappointment. It did go away for a while until I replaced the u shaped muffler bracket. Presto-returno, it came back. Mostly when it's damp out or I've washed the car.
Macsfamily, the headache involved is why I've avoided the repair. I figured my time was better spent doing maintenance since I don't think this squeak is doing damage...at least I hope not. The other reason to avoid it is a new baby and a major lack of sleep.