PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak from top area of left fuel tank

Volvinator
12-14-2015, 02:04 PM
2004 XC 70, noticed last weekend that I have a decent leak (tank had been full - 41 miles so far) coming from somewhere at the top of the tank located on the driver's side. Research shows that a fuel line (possibly coming from the fill spout) crack at the fitting sometimes occurs. By the time I had driven it to the 100 mile mark the leak has stopped. Am guessing that I'm not the only one who's had this problem and am wondering if the gas tank had to be dropped to fix this.

Astro14
12-14-2015, 03:29 PM
So...left side? Passenger side? Which one? Not the same in this country...

If you've not had the pump checked - start with that. But in your case, the recall doesn't apply, and since it happens only with a full tank, I suspect that you do have a cracked line or fitting...and the only fix is to drop the tank...

Volvinator
12-14-2015, 03:55 PM
So...left side? Passenger side? Which one? Not the same in this country...

If you've not had the pump checked - start with that. But in your case, the recall doesn't apply, and since it happens only with a full tank, I suspect that you do have a cracked line or fitting...and the only fix is to drop the tank...

My mistake - DRIVER SIDE of car is where the leak is coming from....Original post has been edited.

Astro14
12-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Since the pump, filler neck, and fuel filter are all on the passenger side, this makes me think cracked fitting on the tank itself. Dropping the tank on this is a PITA...it's wrapped over the rear differential...

I would take it to somebody with a lift who can look closely and ensure the leak location. You'll need a full tank to diagnose. You'll want an empty tank to remove the tank...

Volvinator
12-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Since the pump, filler neck, and fuel filter are all on the passenger side, this makes me think cracked fitting on the tank itself. Dropping the tank on this is a PITA...it's wrapped over the rear differential...

I would take it to somebody with a lift who can look closely and ensure the leak location. You'll need a full tank to diagnose. You'll want an empty tank to remove the tank...Agree that dropping the tank would be a quasi nightmare, and I have access to a lift. I'll go the easy route first and will check the sending unit gasket which is relatively easy to access, and if that's where the leak point is there should be evidence. Thanks for your input.

Astro14
12-15-2015, 08:54 AM
I just pulled the tank out on my 25 year old 4 Runner...what a PITA...25 years of rust...

Bolts broke and had to be drilled out. Found severely corroded brake lines, which had to be replaced. Fuel line was so corroded that it broke, and had to be replaced. To do all that, transfer case oil cooler and other bits had to come out...good thing I pulled it, I reckon, to replace those corroded bits before they failed while driving...

So, while your Volvo doesn't have the rust that the old truck does, a fuel tank is never easy...and there are more parts surrounding this one...and I'm really hoping it's the sender or something easy to reach...

You've got my sympathy...