PDA

View Full Version : First rear wheel bearing replaced...

TheDarkKnightt
12-10-2015, 10:26 PM

I replaced the first bad rear wheel bearing on my my car today.
It came off easily after the rental of a slide hammer!

Not only that...but little rust on anything!
Keeping the undercarriage clean makes a difference!

Astro14
12-11-2015, 04:02 AM
Rust free must be nice...having lived where they salt the roads...the rust is killin my 4 Runner.

TheDarkKnightt
12-11-2015, 06:31 AM
The one thing that many on here that many may disprove...

I did go with a bearing made in the orient instead of either of the fine German made ones...
Figured I'd see how long it lasts...
This job wasn't bad at all...I only used a small amount of creative language while pulling the bearing from the housing, and mostly because PB blaster went around my safety glasses! :(

Did replace the parking/emergency brake shoes while I was at it...they were shot.
Very easy to do...except for getting the springs back on...just so small...

Will do the other side this morning...
The rear pads had about 70% left on them- almost new..only the second set since I've owned the car on the rear.

I'm still impressed with how rust free this car has been!
If the outside and interior looked as nice as the undercarriage. :p

billr99
12-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Rust free must be nice...having lived where they salt the roads...the rust is killin my 4 Runner.

And you think you have it bad. Try living next to a lively North Atlantic..arghhhhhhh! My tools housed in a nice upright chest in my barn/shop actually rust due to the salt in the air.

Cheers,

Bill

billr99
12-11-2015, 06:57 AM
I did go with a bearing made in the orient instead of either of the fine German made ones...

I've used GMB on a front and rear as well as FAGs on the other two corners and I can't say I've seen any differences including longevity. In fact, it took me over 300K kms to finally replace the the last one (w/ GMB) with the first one coming off at less than 100K (w/ FAG).

Cheers,

Bill

Astro14
12-11-2015, 08:18 AM
And you think you have it bad. Try living next to a lively North Atlantic..arghhhhhhh! My tools housed in a nice upright chest in my barn/shop actually rust due to the salt in the air.

Cheers,

Bill

It was the salt caked in the crevices of my 4 Runner that killed it.

However, I live quite close to salt water now. At times, closer than any of you. This is my front yard and street last month during a storm surge...

But I can wash/wipe down and avoid the deleterious effects of this. Salted roads in freezing weather are another matter

The Landshark
12-11-2015, 03:15 PM

Cheers,

Bill

I feel your pain man, we're in the same boat here just across the water from you, add the constant damp into the mix and everything has a good coat of rust on it.
I don't know if waxoyl is available over there but it's the only stuff to keep a car right over here