PDA

View Full Version : PCV kits

crewsr
12-10-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm (over)due for a PCV install. I've seen the kits from a few resellers that are either about $100 USD or around $300 USD. The more expensive kits appear to include a complicated-looking hose.

Is this crazy hose-thing worth the extra expense or can the existing one be cleaned out and re-used? I have no reason to think it's damaged beyond a good cleaning.

JRL
12-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Unfortunately yes, if you want to do this properly
There is a shortcut to "mate" a $35 part to this hose which includes the nipple but doing this takes a bit of talent.

AKAMick
12-11-2015, 08:00 PM
I did my system without buying any parts, just hours with lacquer thinner cleaning the parts out, then checking with a bore scope inside for cleanliness. The nipple hose will break as it becomes very old and brittle, but can be replaced with SAE30r9 hose (fuel injection) and full compression Norma mini clamps. I pulled the oil pan as the bore scope revealed the engine port into the sump was 80% caked up, so off it came and it was expedient, as it did need a good clean up, also the oil pick up was 40% blocked with stuff the only conventional oils can produce. It is now back
on a diet of synthetic oil

crewsr
12-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Interesting; I hadn't thought of using the borescope. I think I've seen some USB ones really reasonably priced good for occasional use. Maybe Santa will bring me one... I am disinclined to futz with the hose if it's breaks somehow; my time is sorta valuable/short and if it's more than an hour or two of messing around with it I'd prefer to have a new one.

Thanks!

pittsjock
12-14-2015, 08:25 PM
I have done two of PCV services, both on 2007 XC70's. The first one I simply cleaned the system and replaced the small vacuum line between the intake and the oil trap after having spent nearly $2,500 at the stealership allowing them to replace unnecessary parts as the car kept throwing MAF codes. This site pointed me in the direction of the PCV. My work temporarily fixed the problem (passed the glove test), but I ended up having to later i) replace the oil trap and ii) drop and clean the oil pan and passages. The turbo/coolant hose (crazy hose) was not replaced and now needs to be. Net, net, this was the most expensive $300 I have ever saved as I need to disassemble the car for yet a third time to replace this hose.

I just did this again on a different (new to me) 2007 XC70. Instead of disassembling the car to work on the PCV system 3 times, I bit the bullet, bought the complete kit, dropped and cleaned the oil pan and did it all correctly from the start. As I am now a relative "expert" at the disassembly, the whole thing went pretty quickly and I am certain that I will not have any PCV issues for another 100k.

The most annoying part is cleaning the oil pan. Several folks suggested having a radiator shop clean it. You also need a 1/4 inch ratchet, extension, swivel head and a bit of learning to loosen the lower left manifold bolt. I did not have the right combination the first time and ended up removing the thermostat housing to get in there, which is a difficult project in and of itself due to space. Purchase a decent set of Oetiker clamp pliers and the job will go fast.

Good luck!