PDA

View Full Version : Remote Keyless Entry

brenda
06-06-2002, 10:45 AM
I purchased an extra remote keyless entry fob from ebay with the understanding these can be programmed by a dealer.  I have a 2000 V70 XC.  I called Rickenbaugh in Denver and they said I would need to bring it in and pay $130 to run the proper software to program it.  This seems ridiculous.  Any suggestions??

P Hartmann
06-06-2002, 07:01 PM
your dealer is right on.

ChicagoXC
06-05-2004, 07:06 PM
I, too, bought key fob clickers on ebay. My dealer could NOT program them without the code that came with the clickers.

Basically, you CAN get clickers cheaper than at Volvo, but make sure that they are NEW, with the code.

As for cost -> New clicker was $104 (at Volvo). Clicker then gets a download for $32. Finally, you pay the service charge for an hour of labor.
*note.. I actually bought 3 keys AND the clicker. 3 keys + 1 clicker, then 4 downloads, and 1 labor charge = $417.

Good luck.

AWD*V70XC
06-06-2004, 01:46 AM
ChicagoXC, welcome on board, you posted some interesting facts about what not to purchase on e-bay. I hope other members will not be so hasty next time they see a bargain. :confused:

Rabbit
06-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Brenda, I do not agree with the posts that followed yours. I bought 3 keyless remotes from ebay, and my Volvo dealer programmed my 2000 V70 XC to learn all three keyless remotes (the maximum number that a 2000 V70 can learn). The only "codes" that are needed are for the keyless remotes that have the YELLOW button! The standard 4 button remotes are usable with your 2000 XC! Your service dept. representative is MISINFORMED! You can have these remotes programmed via VADIS for about $100. BTW, 1998 V70 XC's can be programmed by the owner. Don't know about 1999's.

Also, it should be known that the car "learns" the remotes - not the other way around.

Cheers! Rabbit :)

Bluegrass-XC
06-08-2004, 09:38 AM
my Volvo dealer programmed my 2000 V70 XC to learn all three keyless remotes (the maximum number that a 2000 V70 can learn).Rabbit - are you saying that only three REMOTES are the maximum? I recently had a spare key made and the dealer told me that there were already SIX KEYS "out there" programed for my car - which was supposedly the maximum. Now - we're talking about the actual key - not the remote. They had to delete all of the codes for the six keys that had been previously made and download and reprogram the one I had - plus the spare. Total cost was around $105 (not counting the 90 minutes it took to do it).

I just wanted to relate to others that I was told that the 2000 V70 XC can have up to six KEYS programed. I don't have any information regarding the keyless remote (clicker) though.

Mike
Bluegrass-XC (for now)

Rabbit
06-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Rich Kelley who works at a Volvo dealership near me (Volvospeed.com - Bay 13) has personally told me that only 3 keyless remotes can be programmed in the memory of a 2000 V70. Good question about the keys. I honestly do not know how many keys can be in the 2000 V70 memory. I only know that a maximum of 3 keyless remotes are all the 2000 V70 can "learn". My uneducated guess is that a maximum of 6 devices (keys and/or keyless remotes) are what the 2000 V70 can learn. My personal belief is that you can program 3 keyless remotes, and 3 keys - a total of 6 "devices" - but that is only a belief with regards to keys. I only know that 3 keyless remotes max for a 2000 V70...

Cheers! Rabbit :)

stephen
08-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Interesting topic - I have 99 V70XC delivered here in Australia and am trying to get second remote. It seems that the ebay sellers all ex USA apparently have varying units available with a few different part numbers and relevant to Nth America FCC numbers. My remote has part number 9166202 but not found this yet although one with different number seems identical with three buttons (as opposed to four buttons including a red 'panic' button. There is suggestion that you need the same remote with part number and that possibly Nth American delivered cars' remotes might operate on different radio frequency to at least the Australian delivered vehicles. If any one has any comments or information then I would love to here from you.

I have sen athread here suggesting that programming 850 model remotes is a doddle but I found the following on the UK Volvoclub website as to how to programme remotes for first series Cross country.

Volvo 1999-2000 - S / V / C70 Models

Press and Hold odometer reset button

Turn ignition switch to "run" position

After SRL flashes, release odometer reset button

Turn ignition off

Turn ignition back on to confirm reset"

The response was "directions worked like a charm! The only problem I had was on my first attempt, I didn't release the odometer button "while" the SRL was flashing. I waited until it stopped flashing. So, it didn't work the first time.

On second attempt, I released the button while it was flashing, and it worked."

This might help but still leaves me just one remote!!! Any ideas on what I can do???

Bluegrass-XC
08-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Stephen - Welcome!

I could be mistaken, but wasn't that "hold odometer reset button ... " the procedure for resetting the "service engine" light that tends to stay illuminated for a few minutes after car is started? :confused:

Bob Gadjet
08-16-2004, 04:46 AM
While looking for a "cheaper spare key" I found your forum.
Just so you guys dont think you have expensive problems, I recently "bent" my key, and had to have it replaced, here i the UK.
The ONE spare key is going to cost me £89.oo. If I want another spare, another £89.
I questioned it, and no let out.
Incidently, that is for a key that "needs no software"
If it needed soft ware it would be £115.50 PER KEY ! ! !

Work out the cost in dollars yourselves, and many thanks for the in teresting posts.

B y the way, is the "odometer" thing for service light reset true to ALL Volvos?
I have a mere V40, 1999

Olaf
04-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Keyless Remote: Dealer required?

Rabbit,

Concerning your post (below):
---------------------------------------------
Brenda, I do not agree with the posts that followed yours.... BTW, 1998 V70 XC's can be programmed by the owner. Don't know about 1999's.

Also, it should be known that the car "learns" the remotes - not the other way around.

Cheers! Rabbit
---------------------------------------------
We just bought a '98 V70 XC AWD w/o a keyless remote, but see many on eBay. Seems it requires the Keyless Remote #9166200. Before buying one on eBay, I hear conflicting info whether the '98's programmed by the owner or dealer. Your post indicates my '98 does NOT require dealer programming which conflicts with this table (see V70 at bottom):

http://www.autotechs.com/catalog/especial.htm

Is the table incorrect and can I buy a 9166200 on eBay with confidence? What do I do next after the 9166200 arrives? Other ideas?

gen3usa
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
i too have a 98 V70XC and was told the dealer needed to program them. If anyone has info to justify other wise i would be very interested in knowing how to program a remote to the car. thank you, i look forward to learning more as one remote is just not enough! [thumbup]

thanks

Rabbit
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
The chart appears to be incorrect.

The 1998-2000 XC models do not require any code numbers. There are no code numbers with the remotes.

The 1998 models are programmed with a handheld scantool with a 4 digit pin number which the dealer obtains from the volvo warranty database.

1999 and 2000 models require connection to the dealers VADIS/VIDA computer, and software must be downloaded to enable programming.

Remotes can be mixed and matched, and you can even program multiple cars to one remote.

Only three remotes can be programmed to any single car (from what I understand).

I don't have a 1998, so I can't absolutely confirm programming.

In my experiences, dealerships are intentionally deceptive or flat out "ignorant", and try to gouge customers by lying to them - convincing them that they need to buy new remotes - and pay for programming services when not needed.

My 2000's XC's required VADIS to program the car to learn the remotes.

Cheers! Rabbit

Chris Bowne
04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I have not lost my 98 XC RKE fob, but the plastic ring section of it that allows it to be retained on a key chain broke off, any suggestions on how to fix? Is there a place in the body of the fob I could safely drill a hole and run something like a small tie wrap through? For now, just carrying it around in my pocket detached from the keys, but it's likely to be lost more easily that way.

Rabbit
04-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Option 1: Buy a cheap, used remote(s), and swap the electronics from your working remote to the used remote.

Option 2: Beg, borrow, steal, (or buy) the scan tool, get the 4 digit pin for your '98, and have your '98 learn one or more new/used remotes.

Ebay.... [happy]

Search: Volvo Remote

martypongo
01-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Greetings, FCP Groton sells remotes for $99 with the following instructions:

This key fab will need to be programmed. If you have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle, you will be able to manually program this remote. If you do not have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle then you will have to take this to the dealer for programming. To manually program this remote, ensure that all doors, hood, and trunk are closed. Insert key into ignition, turn key to position #2 and back to off at least 5 times in ten seconds. The LED indicator should start to flash, leave ignition on. Once indicator starts you have 15 seconds to program remote. Press the lock button on the remote. The indicator LED lighting for about 2 seconds acknowledges the programming.

Check it out at http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/30994/nm/1998_2000_Volvo_S70_Turbo_Key_Fob_Remote/category_id/7

Marty

BEJinFBK
01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Greetings, FCP Groton sells remotes for $99 with the following instructions:

This key fab will need to be programmed. If you have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle, you will be able to manually program this remote. If you do not have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle then you will have to take this to the dealer for programming. To manually program this remote, ensure that all doors, hood, and trunk are closed. Insert key into ignition, turn key to position #2 and back to off at least 5 times in ten seconds. The LED indicator should start to flash, leave ignition on. Once indicator starts you have 15 seconds to program remote. Press the lock button on the remote. The indicator LED lighting for about 2 seconds acknowledges the programming.

Check it out at http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/30994/nm/1998_2000_Volvo_S70_Turbo_Key_Fob_Remote/category_id/7

Marty

They are Wrong.
Plain and simple.
Honest...

nortons
03-31-2012, 12:06 AM
I bought a 2000V70C and the previous owner supplied a new replacement lock cylinder assembly to replace the old one which would occasionally not turn, not release the key, or would just uselessly turn. It has a small "service" type key and the tag has the correct Volvo key code on it;SV4288. My existing ignition key will not turn in this lock. Dealer says I have to buy the exact same part number switch from him, $325, plus 1/2 hr labor to install, plus "reprogramming charge plus $200 for extra key for the wife, plus charges for a 40 mile flat bed tow. Total around $750. For a key to a new unused part I have in my hands which dealer insists will not allow car to start. This is ridiculous.
I have VADIS on my PC, but can't find info about replacement keys. I have a decent scan tool, an Innova 3160. Can this be used to "reprogram" a replacement key to the new lock cylinder or to the immobilizer? How to use VADIS or scan tool to do this? My kids will let me use their laptop, (Well, they'll do it, I'll watch. They don't trust the old geezer with their computer) I have found only 1 locksmith in entire SE Michigan area that says he can do this. Cost; $200 per key, plus service call charge, plus "reprogramming" charge he was fuzzy about quoting
Can anyone out there walk me through how to do this?

nortons
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I mis-spoke on last post; it was late, I was tired. The previous owner supplied a replacement switch for the car, but it was not the right one, so I bought one off Ebay with the CORRECT part number. This is the one with the small "service" key. However, even though it is an original, NOS Volvo part, it does not have the matching key code for my car and there is no release for the lock cylinder to allow it to be re-coded to use my key.
Dealer replaced ignition switch/lock cylinder assy. on wife's minivan 2 years ago. Cost? $145 including labor. Difference? Lock cylinder was removable and able to be re-coded to use old keys and fobs. But not Volvo!!