PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using BEHR coolant reservoir expansion tank with satisfaction?

Xheart
11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
The Volvo's original is now pressing against the PS reservoir, will you replace it with BEHR?

Sale at IPD https://www.ipdusa.com/products/11005/124464-coolant-reservoir-expansion-tank

2002V70XC
12-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Don't do it! I bought the cheap expansion tank from IPD and I'm now waiting for the OEM one from FCP because the one from IPD is leaking. I have removed the bottle to inspect the leak. It got cracked right at the bottom connection where you connect the coolant hose (its where you tighten the clamp). The crack is pretty bad! Not only that, there are visible little cracks around the bottle when the top half mates the bottom half. The photos are in my phone so I can't upload them now!
Everywhere is on sale now, you should grab the OEM 1 before its too late!
Cheers

Xheart
12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
I have BEHR blower fan, and heat exchanger in my two Volvos. The expansion tank is a simpler product, I guess BEHR is not the OEM for expansion tank.

Thank you for the caution.

Iroll_
12-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Appreciate the heads up. I had considered the BEHR expansion tank- I will stick with OEM.

Astro14
12-03-2015, 08:56 AM
I had to look...I ended up using the pro-parts brand from FCP. But with Volvo cap, hose, and sensor. Big price difference...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-expansion-tank-30741973

So far, so good...I did this in July.

billr99
12-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I had to look...I ended up using the pro-parts brand from FCP. But with Volvo cap, hose, and sensor. Big price difference...

I did the same on my '02 and it too is still working good. Maybe the OP's Behr was a one-off since Behr is a quality name generally.

Cheers,

Bill

2002V70XC
12-03-2015, 05:25 PM

That looks like a great quality one. Not much different from the OEM one at all! I wish I went with that instead of the one from IPD. Are you running Volvo coolant? I noticed the colour is quite different with Zerex G05 that i'm using.

@Bill: I just checked my IPD account to trace back to the coolant expansion tank that I ordered from IPD (Oct 2014) and it seems that they no longer sell that item. The one they sent me didn't have BEHR label on it (basically no label at all). So you might be right that BEHR offers good quality stuff.

The biggest difference that I noticed between OEM and the one I ordered from IPD was that the coolant level on the IPD one was much harder to identified compared to OEM one.

Here are the photos of the IPD one:

Cheers

Astro14
12-03-2015, 06:12 PM
I use Volvo blue OE coolant in both Volvos....keeps it simple...

Antherzoll
12-03-2015, 08:13 PM
I want to buy a new expansion, mine is old and yellowed, those new ones look so much nicer.

It's been quoted that "Volvo Coolant" is Pentosin NF. Don't know how true this is.

I've been using Zerex G05 because Walmart is easier to find than a Volvo dealership, it's cheaper, and it works, but going forward I may switch to Pentosin NF and keep a 50/50 batch always on hand. Never know when you need to disconnect a coolant hose to work on something.

Pentosin NF is also Blue :)

2002V70XC
12-03-2015, 11:16 PM

I wish its that simple to get Volvo coolant from my local dealer!

Xheart
12-04-2015, 06:47 AM
I want to buy a new expansion, mine is old and yellowed, those new ones look so much nicer.

It's been quoted that "Volvo Coolant" is Pentosin NF. Don't know how true this is.

I've been using Zerex G05 because Walmart is easier to find than a Volvo dealership, it's cheaper, and it works, but going forward I may switch to Pentosin NF and keep a 50/50 batch always on hand. Never know when you need to disconnect a coolant hose to work on something.

Pentosin NF is also Blue :)

I have used Zerex G05 in past from local NAPA. It worked in clean translucent white looking expansion tanks for some years. Your yellow is better than what i have -- rotten color. I am suspecting the Zerex G05 dyes/coats the tank yellow. Our went from white-to- yellow-to-rotten in a short time.

I am with Astro on fluids... keep it simple, change frequently. Always keep some 50/50 on garage shelf.

After switching back to Volvo Coolant $18 as compare to Zerex G05 $21, I can't tell you how easy it is on my neck when searching for level in that dungeon, not to mention eyes -- old glasses with bifocal still works, no new prescription or flashlight. Lol!

2002V70XC
12-08-2015, 03:03 AM
I can't tell you how easy it is on my neck when searching for level in that dungeon, not to mention eyes -- old glasses with bifocal still works, no new prescription or flashlight. Lol!
Isn't it because of the new expansion tank that you put on?
With the OEM one, its so easy to see the level and the colour of the coolant. This wasn't the case with the unbranded one from IPD.

Xheart
12-08-2015, 07:49 PM
New expansion tank, level sensor, filler hose, and Volvo fluid. New PS reservoir and pressure hose o'ring -- all Volvo.

Replaced the pressure hose o'ring at PS pump. Mark for corresponding location and spacing, then and snug tight -- no torque spec provided in VIDA.