PDA

View Full Version : tires and bevel gear

nanspeak
05-09-2002, 10:43 AM
I have a 1998 XC which needed 2 two new tires.  The tire store didn't have replacement Continentals so I went with a similar tire, same size, an Avon.  With in 1000 miles, damage had been done to the bevel gear (don't understand what that is) and it needs replacement for $3500.  Has anyone heard of this?  I'm trying to understand if this is truly due to the tire change or is the dealer trying to get away with missing the problem the first time I brought it to their attention?

P Hartmann
05-15-2002, 07:21 PM
I'd agree   the tires on an all wheel drive vehicle should always be replaced as a set of 4.  The wheels must all rotate exactly the same.  the bevel gear is the gear inthe back that converts the driveshaft spin to transverse action to the wheels.

wsalopek
05-15-2002, 07:22 PM
If they were the EXACT same size, you shouldn't have had a problem...however, even the difference in size between a WORN tire and a NEW tire, even that little bit of circumference difference, from what I understand, can cause bevel gear problems.

The bevel gear is the gear that allows the power to be forced to the rear wheels when the front starts to slip.

I've heard most people say that the XC has a CRAPPY awd system...works well enough for traction, but not reliable and expensive to fix.

I've heard people say that if you get a flat that is not repairable, you need to buy FOUR NEW TIRES to make sure they are all the exact same circumference.

Another option would be to buy ONE new tire, and then have it "shaved" down to the same treadwear as the other tires.