PDA

View Full Version : Ignition lock issues

Jcz26
11-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Hi Guys, Over the past week I have done extensive research, including reading, dissecting, and watching videos, all regarding the famous Volvo locked up ignition lock. I have spent a lot of time getting to why this happens, how to fix it, and suggestions of what to do if you become a victim. It is a long post with a huge amount of information, including a link to a very informative video that shows the total dis-assembly and re-assembly of the lock mechanism including the cylinder removal. I want to add a note, that what the video address here, is mainly for the removal of the lock cylinder, however, it does show some of the important components, how to remove them, and I will be giving some information on things they don't talk about because they are using a new lock housing. The video should be used with the many photo's that I took depicting what breaks and what happens internally that seems to cause the lock up. SO to get started this is the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzUduzjR9W4 I want to start off by saying, that some of my repair process, you may be able to do in the car without ever having to go through the hassle of removing the lock mechanism from the column, I'm talking about the auxiliary pin removal. The first thing you have to do, is take the key out of the lock. In having said that, let's start with the auxiliary lock pin. On the side of your lock housing, the side that faces the brake and gas pedals, you will find a tiny soft metal (like lead) cap or hole plug. The area will look like this >7535 I caution you, there is a spring behind the cap and it is loaded. Inside the hole is the auxiliary lock pin and the spring, which looks like this> 7536. Remove the cap, spring and lock pin. The lock pin may come out very easily, if not, try to get something about the size of the spring like this type of screw driver> 7537 the lock pin is magnetic, if that helps any. Now that you have the pin out, I'll explain it's purpose and why we don't need it. Volvo gave it's owners some extra piece of mind and security for the car. If someone were to lets say use a screw in type dent puller and try to remove the ignition lock, there is a plate > 7538 that becomes dislodged and the auxiliary lock pin slips in to a hole in the steering column lock cam, which prevents the steering wheel to turn or the cam assy to turn. What this means is... the car still can't be started. We need to keep in mind, that without a programmed chip it's still not going to start, and the bypass is another subject. The way the plate and pin work looks something like this> 7539