PDA

View Full Version : 99 V70XC vibration/harshness

mgopalkr
03-12-2002, 10:55 AM
I can feel vibrations in the steering wheel and even in the throttle at speeds above 50mph - The dealer always claims that my wheels are out of balance and I have had these rebalanced thrice in 36000 miles at &#3640 a pop. The wheel balancing seems to mitigate the problem somewhat (& for a short while), but not entirely - which leads me to believe that there are other problems. I also find it hard to believe that anyone would design a car that is so sensitive to wheel balance. The dealer could'nt find any problems with the suspension. Any thoughts?

P Hartmann
05-26-2002, 06:08 PM
I noticed a lot of this also on the original Continental tires.
turns out they had dry rot and new GY Regatta tires made all the difference.  About the suspension: have you had to have parts replaced? I had to have the original plastic anti-sway bars replaced at 15000, and most recently, The Left ball joint and the Right upper shock bearing at 39000.  The bearing was detected by having the car on a lift and listening as the wheel was turned back and forth.  The tire dealer spotted the bad ball joint.  Now after reading your complaint, I remain nervous about the suspension. consumers reports did report 5% trouble with suspension..... Paul

07-09-2002, 01:19 PM
I have found the same problem with our '99.  Rebalancing after rebalancing.  The mechanic thinks the tires are separating and need replacing.  This happened on a set of new tires on our previous Volvo and when we replace the tires, viola no shaking.

Njord
07-10-2002, 05:19 AM
My 99 had a similar problem. The steering wheel would wobble back and forth (most notable at about 40-60 kph). When the tires were low on air the problem was worse.  
I thought that it might be balancing / alignment but the dealer said that it was most likley a separated belt in the tire.  He said that the alignment wouldn't help (didn't ask about balancing). I had the tires rotated which helped but didn't fix the problem. The dealer recommended new tires but I got a new 2002XC instead.

Chuck
07-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Have your front struts checked carefully!

I live in the mountains above Los Angeles.  I average 35 miles of freeway driving, 38 miles on curving mountain roads, and then, 2 1/2 miles of dirt road one way.  I had the infamous "clicking noise" when turning, as well as an intermittent "clunking" noise when I hit a bump.  The problem turned out to be a broken upper center post on the front right strut.  Note: I estimate that I drove the car this way for at least 20,000 MILES before I found the problem accidentally, and during that time period, I did not have any undue harshness and only a little additional vibration which I thought might be due to the new Yokohama tires.

JOHN CALLAHAN
11-01-2005, 03:26 PM
&nbsp? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Beiner
11-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Mine has a "buzz" at speeds between 60-65 mph. I'm certain it's the rotors because of the exacerbated "buzz" I get when applying the brakes. I've never seen rotors before that had such a small range of misbalance conditions but I can't think that it would be anything else. Previous owner had put a great set of Michelins and they're still balanced correctly. Just another victim of previous improper wheel torque.

tyba1982
11-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I had the same problem in my 98' XC... my dad is a car dealer so I never really get the fully low down on what gets done to my car he just takes it and has the shop guys look at it and gets it back to me. But I was talkin to Steve (one of the guys back in the shop) and he said that something was wrong in the rear... it was awhile ago and i don't remember exactly what it was. But I know I needed fluid back there somewhere.