PDA

View Full Version : New member here saying hello and have a couple questions.

davis31052
11-10-2015, 07:18 AM
Hello all,

I recently picked up a 2001 XC70 with a blown head gasket for $300. I've been lurking here ever since and understand that I may have to deal with transmission issues, once I get the engine squared away. This is not my first foray into the world of Volvo, as I had a 1997 850 Wagon that I loved but let it get away from me.

The AWD concept has intrigued my since these vehicle hit the market and I couldn't pass this one up for the price. My intent is to go thru each and every system to update or repair, which brings me to my first question. Besides this forum, what should I look for in a manual that will not only address repair procedures, but also explain how the system/s work. i.e. angle gear, viscous coupling, AWD system ( how it engages, ways to test it) I'm looking for THE MOST comprehensive guide available for this car. I'll also be purchasing the VIDA /DICE software and diagnostic interface so as to reset any and all systems as I progress thru the build.

Also, rather than try and work on and update the engine and transmission in the car, has anyone dropped the cradle and just worked on the drive train separate from the car. Example, servo cover, complete trans reseal, engine rear main seal, Full timing set, PVC etc.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Eddie

kutcht1
11-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Good luck with this adventure as I am all for taking on a challenge and repairing a good deal. Just to warn you as it will come up from others. The most expensive Volvo is the one you purchase for the least amount of money.
TomK

davis31052
11-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Yup, No doubt on that score. I've been a automobile and heavy truck mechanic, in some shape or form, for over 30 yrs. so I know what you mean. It'll be a project spanning two years minimum, but at the end of the day I'll know this car like the back of my hand.

AKAMick
11-11-2015, 07:33 AM
If there are numerous repairs to be made dropping the entire assembly would make sense, I have never done it on a XC70 but on other cars it works out to be the easiest way to address a complex repair, I have used this approach on other model cars and found it to be much easier than removing assemblies from the engine bay individually. Your background and experience will definitely carry you through this operation quite well