PDA

View Full Version : HU-850 radio issue

PGI007
11-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I have been having an odd issue with my HU-850 recently. The audio normally cuts out when the Rear Park Assist is activated, and it has periodically remained off unless I turn it off and on again. Recently, it has sometimes been off even without the RPA activated, but the turn off-turn on solution has worked. In these cases, the radio display is on but there is no audio. Last week, it was off but would not respond to the usual fix. The CD worked fine, but no AM or FM, any station. After a couple of days it came back on and has been working fine. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this issue or has an idea of where the problem might be. Bad connection perhaps? Issue with the RPA?
Thanks

JRL
11-09-2015, 04:38 PM
I can list the 57 ways these radios can break and there's always someone who comes up with a new way.
The bottom line is they fail ( a lot)!
Time for you to buy a new or a used one or go aftermarket as it's broken.

PGI007
11-09-2015, 08:03 PM
OK, so make it 58. Seriously though, if you are saying the unit itself is failing, and this is one of numerous symptoms of the same result, then there would be no point trying to replace the loss of radio with an add-on unit like the Grom because everything will ultimately be dead. Some things break and can be fixed, which is why I was asking if this symptom was related to any such issues. I'll ride it out as long as I can, as I have spent a lot on the car already this year.
Thanks

JRL
11-10-2015, 06:26 AM
If you are a radio repair person I'm sure you could fix it if you could find the necessary parts.
Otherwise, replace it

PGI007
11-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up. No doubt replacing the factory unit will involve compromises, so it's good to know there is an option for this.

PGI007
11-13-2015, 01:07 PM
I have been looking at units on Crutchfield, and under installation details it indicates replacing my factory unit will lose the center dash speaker and the Park Assist feature. That's what I meant by compromises (including losing the pop-out cup holder). I have the 11 speaker system, so I'm not sure how it will sound if I replace it with a 4-ch unit. I have no intention of spending a lot on a replacement unit given the age of the car.

JRL
11-13-2015, 02:17 PM
I have been looking at units on Crutchfield, and under installation details it indicates replacing my factory unit will lose the center dash speaker and the Park Assist feature. That's what I meant by compromises (including losing the pop-out cup holder). I have the 11 speaker system, so I'm not sure how it will sound if I replace it with a 4-ch unit. I have no intention of spending a lot on a replacement unit given the age of the car.

You replace the back up sensors with a $75 rear camera which most aftermarket systems now have.
As for the center channel, yes you will lose it. That's about the only thing you would lose and gain everything else.
I know, you do get used to it and for someone like me who has trouble hearing middle tones, it's great to hear the vocals more clearly but everything else will be 100 times better.
There used to be a unit or two that had 5 channel capabilities. There still may be, you would need to speak with an audio expert to find out

JRL
11-13-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure either, as I have a 603.

assuming that the 11 speaker system has an amp there must be a way to interface with it.

No such a radio as a 603