PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Volvo xc70 2.4 motor swap

criqui12
11-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Hello, im new to volvos and never done a motor swap on one before, so im looking for advice on the best way to do so, the donor motor going back in the 01 xc70 is a 03 v70 2.5t and i just dont have a clue where to start, any help, or advice would be great. Thanks!

JRL
11-09-2015, 01:57 PM
You sure are (new).
This is not going to work, it will not run.
You just can't pop a turbo motor into a non turbo and expect it to run, much less from a newer year.
Return the motor, find a NON turbo out of a 2001

criqui12
11-09-2015, 09:24 PM
You sure are (new).
This is not going to work, it will not run.
You just can't pop a turbo motor into a non turbo and expect it to run, much less from a newer year.
Return the motor, find a NON turbo out of a 2001

Is there a way to make it work? Would you have to swap the tranny and all for it to work? It looks like the motor from the 03 2.5t will fit in the 01... i have the actual car for the 03 i have to pull the motor from it as well if there is a way to make it work in the 01. I was told it would, but as i said, im new to Volvo, im an old truck kinda guy lol thanks for the info though!

JRL
11-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Again, what does "NO" mean to you?
Volvos after 2001 have a CAN system and are networked.
The ECU and all the modules are coded to the VIN.
You would need to swap every electrical module out of the 03 and install it to the 01.

I had a killer 56 F100. I pulled the Y block out and installed a small block Chevy, it ran, end of story.
YOU CAN'T DO IT WITH THESE CARS

AKAMick
11-10-2015, 04:09 PM
It can be done if you treat the donor motor as a bare long block and switch all the electrical and induction systems over, as the systems are coupled to the cars electronic control system. It will be a process to make the switch but as the engine is mechanically the same unit. Just don't expect it to be a drop in exchange. The transmission might be another variable, as they also are coupled to the car ECU, so keeping the original transmission could eliminate that variable.

JRL
11-10-2015, 04:43 PM
He wants to drop a 2003 TURBO into a 2001 NON turbo, not what you're describing which, of course, will work but not well as it will have low compression and be a HUGE dog
In actuality, this too may not work

zru
11-11-2015, 11:58 AM
I thought the xc70 was a turbo. Low pressure at 8psi but i do believe it is a b5244t. 9.0 compression ratio I believe. So it should be a turbo to turbo swap, not a turbo to non turbo swap. If the 01's aren't turbo then I need to go back and figure out wth all the extra plumbing under my hood is. That being said I can see those electrical and ECU issues with out a doubt.