PDA

View Full Version : cabin leak around top of windshield

jimmy
11-08-2015, 02:46 PM
My 2008 XC 70 has a cabin leak that drips down from above the passenger side windshield. It doesn't have a sunroof. I'm stumped because I cannot get it to leak by pouring water on it. The seal around the windshield looks nearly new. I've tried hitting the cargo rail mounts with a stream of water and cannot get it to leak from that either. If I drive through a car wash or rain however, the leak can get pretty bad. The vehicle is in very good condition, and as far as I can tell, there's no sign that it's ever been damaged. I'm wondering if it takes some road vibrations to get water in.
Have any of you experienced this?

CVOLVO
11-09-2015, 05:28 AM
My 2008 did have a similar leak at the center top of the windshield when I bought it new. It seemed to have sealed itself so I didn't report it to the dealership. I suspect since this was the first model year on the newly designed XC70, this may be the cause. It's most likely the adhesive seal that may have deteriorated, so it's unlikely you can repair this yourself. Take it to a windshield replacement shop and maybe they can suggest a fix. Of course a replacement windshield is another possibility if you catch my drift. Good luck and keep us informed of your problem and resolution.

jimmy
11-11-2015, 08:20 AM
I appreciate the response. Thanks. I'll follow the windshield sealant route and will be back to report my findings once I get the leak plugged.

ssicarman
11-11-2015, 09:05 PM
If you have access to a good compressed air source/air compressor try this.

Soapy water sprayed on the outside edges of the windshield and than use a blow nozzle to shoot compressed air on the inside edges of the windshield to see if you can get bubbles to show on the outside.