PDA

View Full Version : 2001 v70xc heater core replacement problems

Stevestikihut
11-07-2015, 03:16 PM
I know this repair has been kicked around a lot! The 2001 and 2002 appear different from other years. I cannot get the aluminum pipes back into the core for the life of me. The one toward the back of the car won't even fit into the core, it hangs up on one side and the one closest to the firewall goes in but I cannot get it to seat. I'm having a lot of trouble working under the dash, if I push with one hand I cannot get the other hand in to set the clip. I am considering pulling the entire dash to complete the repair. I understand from my local dealer that they remove the dash to replace the core. Can anyone give me some more tips in seating the pipes? Or has someone removed the dash and can give some tips for that? I'm getting desperate, I have to get the car back on the road.
Help please!

Xheart
11-08-2015, 07:20 AM
It is an extremely painful job. The expectations of it coming together is more frustrating.

Here are few pointers to consider.
1. Use Volvo O'rings
2. Use Volvo aluminum clips
3. Use technique not force
4. Remove pipe from routing clip up above, so it is easy to adjust and align.
5. The secret is in stratight aligning pipe with lightly lubricating O'rings, and it will snap into place.
6. Clip is easy part, lubricate for it to travel over and lock. It won't if o'ring is blocking. Forcing will damage o'ring.
7. Adjust the car seat so you are laying on your back, tilted on your left shoulder.
8. Work in shorter cycle- few attempts, take a break. PATIENCE.

Stevestikihut
11-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks, I think I've got it, I took the dash loose so I had more room. Now to reassemble the dash...
I hope it doesn't leak, I feel from your post I may have pinched the o rings because it took a good amount of push to hold them and insert the clip. They never, "clicked" in, I feel that I can get under there easier if they do without taking the dash off. We will see...
I like how you phrased that, "the expectation of it coming together is more frustrating". True!
After the dash is in I get to replace both heater hoses as well as they are shot, I can see them disappear behind the turbo, I assume that will be fun in of itself. One of the blend door levers broke off as I was putting the core back in, wasn't putting pressure on it much but it more crumbled off than broke. As it is now, screw it, if there is heat coming into the cabin somewhere, I'll settle for that.
I am very capable of working on almost any car tractor or boat but this car really pushes my abilities. I'm also disappointed that at 200,000 miles she isn't holding up well at all. My Dad used to say that a Volvo last forever, not seeing that.