PDA

View Full Version : Failure of door locks, passenger window & outside temp sensor

Blue_V70XC
11-07-2015, 06:54 AM
First, my '02 V70XC w/ 98k miles is mostly a weekend car.

A few months ago, I noticed that the front passenger window, door locks and outside temperature sensor would not function (actually, the doors would lock, but not unlock with the driver's door switch). When the outside temperature begins to work - usually after about 10 minutes of driving, the other non-working features return to their normal operations. Over the past few weeks, none of the features have returned to proper function.

There are no driving related problems.

A single additional issue that could be tied to this is an occasional warning message that the alarm system is not functioning - this has been going on for about a year, and requires an expensive circuit board to repair. My independent mechanic says that I can continue to drive without repair.

So, lacking an OBD reader, any thoughts about possible cause and/or repair of the trifecta problem?

In advance, thanks for the help.

Astro14
11-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Sounds like the Upper Electronic Module, through which many of those functions are controlled. When they're on the fritz, is your sun roof inoperative as well?

OBD reader won't tell you anything on this.. OBD readers only read the standard engine codes. Nothing proprietary that the manufacturer uses beyond those standard codes. All body/network codes are proprietary. VIDA can read proprietary codes and that's what you need for proper diagnosis.

The module is expensive ( $600+) if bought new from a dealer. But to rebuild it is closer to $200.

http://xemodex.com/us/product/upper-electronic-module-cloning-for-volvo-vo-1150-30728696-10-23/

Blue_V70XC
11-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Astro14...thank you for your reply.

My sunroof remains operable at all times.

For a while, I thought that this was related to temperature; as the engine bay warmed, a circuit board regained various connections. I no longer believe this is the case as I can drive the car for hours with no change in the problem.

I drove the car throughout this past week, and noticed that the front passenger door requires manual locking, but will unlock with the key fob. Also, when operating the windows from the driver's door, there is a "clicking" sound from under the dash - this is not the case for the front passenger window; no click when I activate the up/down switch.

And just before the missing functions are restored, I can hear a "clicking" inside the front passenger door - as a circuit is restored?

With 98k on a weekend-use car, I'm not sure which direction to take. There is no easy answer, but I do enjoy not having a car payment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Iroll_
11-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I would Check that the door cable connections are seated properly, then check that the CEM hasn't been exposed to any moisture.
Is the DIM working properly?

This link will show you how to remove the door wiring cables...
This helped me fix an annoying driver side lock that would always "unlock" but inconsistantly "lock". Some contact cleaner and dialectic grease in the connectors fixed the 'problem lock'.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169730-driver-side-doors-fail-to-lock-unlock-with-the-remote

Blue_V70XC
12-05-2015, 06:44 AM
DIM is the magic word.

A review by my independent Volvo mechanic (Revolvstore in Tucson - outstanding mechanic) quickly identified the DIM as a likely cause. It was connected their "computer" and no OBD faults were identified. The Volvo "computer" (VICAS...?) only identified a fault with the alarm system. The DIM operations may continue to deteriorate, or it may remain at this level.

My mechanic showed me a catalog that provides replacement DIM units for a variety of vehicles - Cadillac, Ford, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. It's no longer as simple as a cable from the transmission to the tach and speedo.

The replacement of the DIM is likely a cost that would equal the value of the car. So, perhaps, it is hope for the best as I continue to use it as a weekend car.