View Full Version : engine service light

03-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Is there any information on how to read the engine service light codes without purchasing expensive diagnostic equipment?

04-21-2002, 08:04 PM
I don't know if there is any information on engine service light codes but my '99 XC has been having similar problems.

For the last 4 weeks the engine light has been on and off. My dealer, Robert Motors Volvo in Toronto, has been excellent, they have ascertained (after replaceing many parts and checking that I had indeed closed the fuel filler cap) that the reason the problem persists is because when I fill gas I usually continue to fill the tank after the pump handle clicks. According to my dealer, when the fuel pump clicks and stops the flow of fuel this means that the tank is 92% full and the tank CANNOT take anymore fuel (the remaining 8% is for heat expansion of the fuel). Therefore, when filling your tank stop filling when the pump stops.

After having the light reset and trying this out I have never had the engine light come on since.

Hope this helps you or someone else with similar problems.

P Hartmann
05-26-2002, 05:58 PM
no easy way without tool
one is available at ipdusa