PDA

View Full Version : NHTSA/Volvo tech notes regarding CEM function and unnecessary replacement.

Iroll_
11-06-2015, 05:57 PM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM16554038/INRD-PE10025-44260P.PDF

I found the above while reading up on how our P2 cars are networked.

Thought it might be useful to those that are looking for officials Volvo literature regarding CEM failure.
Summary; according to Volvo's analysis of CEM's', most are unnecessarily replaced due to not fault-checking per the Volvo's tech notes....It's usually the CEM relay that fails.

Hopefully this saves someone from unneccsry CEM replacement.

Iroll_
11-08-2015, 05:18 AM
I can't say for sure.
I can tell you that my 02' is parked outside 24/7 in the Seattle area...I checked CEM this morning-it's dry.

Though I do have a leak from my Heater core's o rings that I'll be taking care of once the seals arrive.
Local dealer wanted $30.00 for just the orings.

Xfingers
11-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Iroll_, please post if you come up with any good tips re: heater core seals replacement. I've got a slight drip on driver's side wheel well only when running heater. Tried to replace o-rings but getting metal tubes to seat back on to heater core with new seals in place was a bugger. I was afraid to use too much force for fear of causing damage so just reinstalled old seals and have a folded newspaper underneath to catch drips!

Iroll_
11-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Iroll_, please post if you come up with any good tips re: heater core seals replacement. I've got a slight drip on driver's side wheel well only when running heater. Tried to replace o-rings but getting metal tubes to seat back on to heater core with new seals in place was a bugger. I was afraid to use too much force for fear of causing damage so just reinstalled old seals and have a folded newspaper underneath to catch drips!

I bought this kit on eBay. During my Volvo 850 ownership the eBay seller below developed a heater core of improved design over the OEM Behr unit. The 850 and the 2002 xc70 utilize a Behr unit that has a 'fused' plastic to metal design where as the eBay/improved version is fused and crimped together-to prevent leaks. The kit comes with orings...I'll be installing the o rings on my factory heater Volvo XC70 heater core, I'll keep the eBay unit on standby should I need to replace my factory unit...from what I can tell...it's only leaking at the o rings.

As notorious as the the leaky heater cores were in the 850, I never experienced any leaks in my 850 with 205k.
I attached a link to the heater core I bought for my xc70... For more info on other users experience.... A search of the 850 forums on the other Volvo related forums will describe other users results/experiences.

Once I instill the O rings on the xc70 , I'll be sure to report back!

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361148236326