PDA

View Full Version : Hi all I'm new to the Volvo scene and looking for some words of wisdom.

Millway
11-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Hi all I buying an xc90 very soon as I've just had a new baby and could do with some extra room and more seats are a nice plus.

But I've not had a Volvo before but I'm really liking the xc90 needs to be auto Diesel with as many toys as possible, I don't have much in the way of a budget around £5000 also, I've seen I fair a mount around with over 100k on the clock. I have a ok to good knowledge on cars. But I've heard that the auto gearbox can be a problem what should I look out for? Is there any other things I should be looking for? Any years/models in particular that good/not do good.

Many thanks in advance
David

JRL
11-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Well, welcome and good luck.
However, you're in the V70 forum not the XC90 forum and most of us are from North America.
We did not get any diesels over here so you may not get many engine answers if you have any engine questions!

Millway
11-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Well, welcome and good luck.
However, you're in the V70 forum not the XC90 forum and most of us are from North America.
We did not get any diesels over here so you may not get many engine answers if you have any engine questions!

Many thanks for pointing that out to me I didn't notice I was on v70 forum. I also didn't know that you guys don't get diesel's models. Many thanks for your time.

McShake
11-04-2015, 11:56 PM
We got mostly diesels in Norway, the petrol engines are somewhat of a rarity here. I've never had one, but what I've gathered from other forums is issues with the gearbox, as you say, that can be controlled with regular flushes and fluid changes, and installing an aux oil cooler if you don't already have it. Also, if you're hauling heavy loads, try to lock the gearbox in a lower gear than the auto trans wants to be in. This increases the internal rpm of the box, and it's oil pump, increasing oil flow, lubrication and heat dissipation.

I have the impression the XC90s burn through suspension components faster than the x70's, since they use mostly the same components, and the XC90 is somewhat heavier.

I'd reccommend registering on the forums at Volvo Car Club Norway ( forum.vccn.no ), we have a small english speaking section, and even though most of don't speak perfect english, there's tonnes of knowledge on the D5's and related motors. Goodbluck with your purchase.