PDA

View Full Version : Experiment: Running 75w-140 oil in the Angle Gear

Iroll_
11-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Last year I changed my angle gear oil to Lubro Moly 75w-90-PAO, oil has been run for one year....It drained out like water.

My reasons for wanting to try an oil with more resistance to flow at higher operating temperatures is:
1) The Ford Edge, 500 spec 75w-140 while utilizing a similar Angle Gear design to our Volvo's.
2) The failure mode of the Angle Gear on Volvo's in relation to gear failure is a symptom of oil that has been overheated (leaking seals).
3) The proximity of the Angle Gear to a hot Catalytic Converter, Transmission and Engine.
4) I live in the suburbs of Seattle ( lots of hills) and carry heavy loads...75w-140 oil at higher temps' offers more 'Shock Protection' (ie starting out speeds with heavy loads) than 75w-90.
5) The Angle Gear's small size and oil capacity
6) Car manufactures are under increased pressure to make lubricant choices based on meeting EPA/government requirements...Sometimes at the expense to the components longevity.

My initial impressions show no difference in noise or driving characteristics compared to the 75w-90 that drained out.
From a theoretical perspective, I like having more protection during warmer temps and highway driving, while not sacrificing cold weather performance.

My current fill is Amsoil 75w-140 severe gear with an MOS2 additive by the name of Lubro Moly For Gears ( both available at NAPA Auto Parts).
We'll soon find out how it works out!

8pack
02-22-2016, 06:45 PM
update?

Iroll_
02-23-2016, 08:06 AM
update?

No problems to report, nice and quiet-leak free.

vtl
02-23-2016, 08:44 AM
No problems to report, nice and quiet-leak free.
Same (no leak, car is a bit lazier on acceleration, looses speed quicker).

Pennhaven
02-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Iroll_, vti,

Did you guys have any leaking before switching viscosity? Asking because mine's been weeping slightly for 10 years. It'd be nice to put an end to it so easily.

Iroll_
02-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Iroll_, vti,

Did you guys have any leaking before switching viscosity? Asking because mine's been weeping slightly for 10 years. It'd be nice to put and end to it so easily.

Yes, I did have minor weeping

Iroll_
02-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Yes, I did have minor weeping

Will be switching my recent Mobil 75-90 rear differential fill to 75-110 amsoil.
Since we have a locking rear diff ( sometimes knows as G80), I will hold off on the Liquimolly MOS2 for gears treatment.
In the mid 00's, the oil weight spec' for 90 weights was revised to be on the "thin" side of what is tollerable for a 90 weight. Little extra protection can never hurt, will hopefully extend my time between drains too.

Looking forward to seeing how the 75-140 performs in the angle gear this summer.

vtl
02-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Iroll_, vti,

Did you guys have any leaking before switching viscosity? Asking because mine's been weeping slightly for 10 years. It'd be nice to put and end to it so easily.
Yes, mine was weeping from being overfilled. Changing just viscosity didn't stop weeping completely, I had to suck out quite a bit of oil for such a small transfer case.

Pennhaven
02-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Yes, mine was weeping from being overfilled. Changing just viscosity didn't stop weeping completely, I had to suck out quite a bit of oil for such a small transfer case.Thanks, also to Iroll_.

If mine was ever overfilled it was from the factory. I've been careful to fill to spec when I change fluid every 30,000 miles. While it barely seeps enough to drop the level noticeably, it still is annoying to see and have to clean it up at every engine oil change. So guess maybe I'll go the 75w-140 route myself next change. Used to run it in the rear diff of my Grand Cherokee, might even still have some on the shelf.

vtl
02-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Where it is weeping from? Transfer case was redesigned to address leaking seal between halves only for 07, it is a common place for a leak. Mine was leaking through the passenger shaft's seal.

Pennhaven
02-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Where it is weeping from? Transfer case was redesigned to address leaking seal between halves only for 07, it is a common place for a leak. Mine was leaking through the passenger shaft's seal.
I'm fairly sure it's only seeping between the housing flanges. Never enough to bother having the repair (http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Drivetrain%20-%20Angle%20Gear%20Fluid%20Leakage.pdf) done though.

Iroll_
02-24-2016, 01:31 PM
It's tough to tell if it's the angle housing design or the failure mode of fluid that been over heated...Or a combination of the two.
I could not located the area of the leak, I could just see the weeping and smell it after a long drive.

Sierra
02-24-2016, 04:39 PM
What was the volume amount for this ... And was there the traditional bottom drain plug with the traditional side FILL plug ? .. to fill just until it spills out the side when filling from a hand pump?

Also are there Volvo metallic crush washers needed? I might pay to have it put on a rack to do this - so the car is even for drain and fill ??

I am in California- And it is already 76F here in February ... Been like this all month long even.

Iroll_
02-24-2016, 10:42 PM
What was the volume amount for this ... And was there the traditional bottom drain plug with the traditional side FILL plug ? .. to fill just until it spills out the side when filling from a hand pump?

Also are there Volvo metallic crush washers needed? I might pay to have it put on a rack to do this - so the car is even for drain and fill ??

I am in California- And it is already 76F here in February ... Been like this all month long even.

I do not remember off the top off head...Rhe Resource Section, should be able to take care of you.

Xheart
02-25-2016, 08:34 AM
A helpful thread http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?28259-2001-V70XC-Angle-gear-o-ring-at-adjusting-nut-letting-the-fluid-leak&highlight=angle+gear