PDA

View Full Version : coolant system drain and fill on a 2004 XC70

Winger
10-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Do you guys know of a procedure for replacing the coolant in the cooling system? I'd like to drain the old and put in new coolant.

kutcht1
10-31-2015, 03:57 AM
I am sure you have it figured out by now, but in case. Does this help you?
http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2001_Volvo_V70_XC_2.4L_5_Cyl._Turbo/coolant_antifreeze/flush_coolant

TomK

Winger
10-31-2015, 06:15 AM
TomK-it does, thanks.

Dan

Xfingers
10-31-2015, 07:14 AM
My brief experience from doing this last week: It would have been advantageous if I had a 13mm DEEP socket. I used a 1/2" deep socket (=12.7mm) which worked fine for the plastic draincock in the bottom corner of the radiator but NO DICE for the coolant drain valve for the engine block located on the line to the oil cooler in front of oil pan. To access this drain, you'll have to jack up front of car. When draining radiator, I only opened draincock until coolant started flowing. Also, others mentioned when tightening to just snug it up tight but don't overly torque it because it can snap off! Since I couldn't fully drain the engine block, I got all the coolant that would drain from the radiator and then did two fill and flushes with distilled water, each time draining from radiator. Then I filled reservoir to full mark with 100% coolant and kept filling with engine running. I was able to pour in a full gallon jug of new coolant when all was said and done, so if total coolant capacity is 7+ quarts, then I guess that would give me about a 50-50 mix between coolant and distilled water.

When doing flushes, I had heater temp control knobs turned up full to the right to flush coolant from heater core. Also, first few times you drive vehicle make sure you have coolant/distilled water with you because you may need to top off reservoir.

crewsr
11-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Quick FYI: the plastic stopcocks snap off super easy... if in the reasonably likely event you break it off with a socket, it is internally shaped to allow a 6mm (I think) hex key, so you may be able to get to remove it again to drain the plain water you've filled it with during the flush (in fact, I'd recommend using an allen key over a socket, just be careful not to burn your hands).

A new one is only a couple of dollars and it will be the cheapest visit to the Volvo parts department you'll ever make...

Winger
11-08-2015, 12:45 PM
I found out two days ago my PCV system needs to be cleaned, it failed the glove test. I will have to do that before the coolant.
I ended up putting in a good gallon or so of new coolant because I pulled the water pump when I did the timing belt. So I'd say, for now the coolant is in decent shape. I'll come back to it later. Thanks for the tips.