PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak near lowe timing belt area

xrsurfguy
10-23-2015, 07:44 PM
So while changing my oil filter yesterday I noticed that I'm still having an oil leak near the lower serpentine belt and timing belt area of the car. I saw this a while ago and thought it might be due to the leaky power steering fluid cap I had but unfortunately it isn't. Can anyone point me in the right direction as where to isolate the problem or is this something I should take to a professional?

Some more history, I do seem to be slowly losing oil and coolant. It's not a significant leak and I've never seen anything on the ground under the car. But maybe every six plus months the add coolant light comes on.

I've attached some pictures I took, sorry about the orientation on a few of them but they are all in the area behind the front passenger side wheel and near the lower serpentine belt and timing belt cover.

Thanks

vtl
10-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Search forum for clogged PCV symptoms.

Coolant could be a gasket leak or simply a bad expansion tank cap.

Astro14
10-24-2015, 03:11 PM
You've likely got a clogged PCV. Fix it now, it's not bad. Keep,driving, and you're looking at seal replacement and twice the hassle and cost.

Coolant often leaks from the bottom of the expansion tank. Look for crust on the hose, the hose is cheap.

Antherzoll
10-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Radiator leak is also a common issue. They will leak at the end tank seam.

xrsurfguy
10-28-2015, 06:25 AM
So I did the plastic glove test to the dipstick and the oil fil cap after the motor had been running for about 10 minutes and a suction was seen fast on the oil fill opening and a little less decernable on the dipstick. I know the PCV hasn't been cleaned on this car since my wife bought it back in 2008 so it's something I'm going to look at fixing.

After reading a bunch of post on here I did notice that when I was checking the oil there were little tiny air bubbles on my dipstick which I think means I need to replace the oil sump seals in the oil pan…does this sound correct? And I might as well replace the seals in the oil cooler.

Knowing I have 146,000 miles and if I'm going to replace the oil sump seals I might as well order the PCV kit from IPD and do it at the same time, she's due for an oil change anyways.

I'll check the coolant leak spots you guys suggested as well.

Antherzoll
10-28-2015, 06:41 AM
After reading a bunch of post on here I did notice that when I was checking the oil there were little tiny air bubbles on my dipstick which I think means I need to replace the oil sump seals in the oil pan…does this sound correct?

Some bubbles are normal, a lot is happening within the crankcase. If it looks foamy or like aeration then I'd be worried, but you'd have an oil pressure warning if it was that bad. Here's what mine looks like right after a spirited run.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah2/antherzoll/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151019_081244_zpslevxwoke.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/antherzoll/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151019_081244_zpslevxwoke.jpg.html)

You're supposed to stop the engine and wait 5mins before checking for an accurate reading.

PCV system has two circuits, an idle circuit and a load circuit. Place the glove on the oil filler and rev the engine, if it blows up then there's an issues with the load circuit.

xrsurfguy
10-30-2015, 02:07 PM
So this is what happened at idle after cooling down for 5 minutes. I revved the engine and I couldn't see anything expanding on the plastic bags.

surfercalavera
10-31-2015, 07:35 AM
I am having the same issue with my 04. Slow coolant and oil leak by the timing belt side. Looking forward to hear more about this. Thanks.