PDA

View Full Version : New oil leak - 99 xc

nplasson
10-13-2003, 08:26 AM
All,

It looks like I'll get good use of this news group as each week is something new and exciting with our 99 XC.

I have detected an oil leak and it looks like it is coming from the following location. Standing in front of the car, just behind the oil dipstick, and underneath the top of the engine there is a box that has a hose to the radiator connected. It appears that the oil leak is coming from somewhere around the box (I have just cleaned the area to try to better determine the exact location of the leak but it is a difficult area to clean and inspect). Does anyone know what this box is? And have any of you experienced leaks in this area.

Thanx for any help,

Ned

xclogan
10-13-2003, 10:51 PM
It could be one of several things...  I have had 4 Volvo Turbos and there are some oil leakages once some miles have been accrued on the cars.  This is normal (as far as I am aware of), as long as the leakage is not a great amount (say.50 quart over 3k miles should be normal).  Turbos inherently burn a small amout of oil, you may see some some small drips underneath, this could be caused by worn oil return seals on the turbo unit (replaced with parts from IPD).

The problem you mention sounds like (and I could be wrong here) that some oil may be getting into your intake from the turbo unit going into the intercooler.  My 760 had lots of gunk and oil in the hose when I replaced it....Again that could be a cause, but do not tka my word for it.

nplasson
10-14-2003, 08:19 AM
xclogan,

Thanx for the reply. I will keep an eye on the leak as it is a small amount at the moment. Are you aware of what the part is that I am describing below?

Thanx,

Ned