PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

mfagus
08-08-2015, 11:17 PM
I have an 2001 XC70 w/99k original miles. I am a longtime Volvo owner but have only owned this car for a few months. I live in New Mexico where it can be very hot about 100 most days in the summer.

Here is what I dont know is normal. After I have driven the car with the AC on, I get out and the engine fan continues to run which I assume is normal.
But what is weird is a few times I have gotten back in the car and the fan on the inside of the car the blower motor is running and air is coming out of the vents.
Seems odd that this is supposed to happen but is it normal and what it is supposed to do?

thanks,

Mark

Willy
08-09-2015, 12:14 AM
Seems odd, but is normal nonetheless, at least according to the Swedish Volvo designers :D
After the car is shut-down for a while and if moisture forms on the AC evaporator,
the interior fan is turned on to prevent bad smells caused by fungi-like organisms.

Astro14
08-09-2015, 05:35 AM
It (AC Blower running) happens exactly 50 minutes after shutdown, so it seems like "a few times" depending on when you return to the car, but in fact, it is happening every time....

mfagus
08-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Guys, thanks for the replies, gives me piece of mind that nothing is wrong.

Mark

JRL
08-09-2015, 08:30 AM
It's called the afterblow function.
It works and cleans out the AC system but make sure you have a good battery.
If it bothers you it can be turned off using VIDA as living in New Mexico you really don't need it. It takes out mold and mildew from humidity

Xheart
08-09-2015, 09:33 AM
It is normal.

The ECC lights were amber , and the driver's knob light had stop coming on.
So I decided to pull out the ECC module and service it. Cleaned all around, pulled out dustball at ECC sensor, replaced ALL four bulbs.
Once again, the ECC lights are now blue like moonlight. What fun!

The ECC fan cycle is much shorter 8-10 min when parked after a 80-90º hot day drive. Our garage climate runs on central HVAC.