PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Front Right Axle Shaft from FCP but it does not look like the original

guymon
08-07-2015, 09:33 PM
I just replaced my front right axle from FCP.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-axle-shaft-front-right-v70-xc-xc70-rebuilt-ax-7824

It is "USA industries" version which states "USA uses only Volvo original axles for its rebuilding process." but it also states "USA industries axles differ in appearance from the Genuine Volvo axles. Please view PDF file to see variation. Axle Comparison (460kb)". Also I do not see the PDF they are talking about.

In my photos attached it looks more like the cheaper versions from china, and one sticker says "new" and another says "Made in China". Please excuse the horrible quality photos my iPhone took.

I installed the axle and a motor mount that is in the same location. The axle seems fine in the test drive and I don't have the wobble in acceleration that I used to have. After pulling my old axle out it was obvious the carrier bearing was bad as it had a lot of play in it.

The description from FCP seemed a little misleading to me. I'll hold onto my core and maybe send it off to get fixed.

Xheart
08-08-2015, 09:19 PM
I rebuild a pair from 2007 that was purchased used as grade A. Completely serviced all CV joints and replace the boots with GKN, installed new abs rings. Cleaned, sanded and painted with volvo's black spray. Now love it for original equipment for $315 DIY.

I still have the 2001 as a spare, which I intend the rebuild for the fun of fixing things.

I say, rebuild old one and keep it ready. The boots on USA/China looks too short, likely fail and spray grease.

guymon
08-09-2015, 07:06 AM
I plan to get the original rebuilt, I just haven't researched the best place to get that done. The main thing that is bad on it is the carrier bearing.