PDA

View Full Version : Alignment shop nightmare

IVIUSTANG
08-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Hi guys,

As previously stated in another post I completely replaced my front suspension at the beginning of July. I immediately had an alignment done. within a couple thousand KM all of the camber bolts were loose so I had to get another alignment at another shop.

Within a week of getting the second alignment the toe has moved significantly and the camber has also moved to the positive side. I took it back to the shop and had them recheck it all, they insist the only thing that could cause it(after they check for loose components etc) was that I monkeyed with the suspension after the alignment, which I did not. They flat out accused me on the work order that I installed lift springs after I had the alignment done; which is so false; I even have photos in my gallery on here that prove I have had the lift kit for a year an a half.

The shop hates my guts now, I have a dash cam and they left my car on accessory and I heard so much mud being unfairly flung on my name I don't feel comfortable ever going back to this shop. They wanted to charge me $220 to fix the alignment again and I said no way, they then offered to do it for free in good will and I said no way. After them falsely accusing me of tampering, and trying to charge me $220 then backpedaling and saying they would do it for free was infuriating. I called the shop back after I reviewed the video and the service writer said the manager would call me back. The really annoying thing is they really do believe it's my fault and think I'm a cheat and a liar.

I think my game plan here is to get a full refund for my hassles and to NEVER go back to that shop again(which actually does have a very good reputation, and I know they don't knowingly screw their customers)

I guess my question is, is there anything else in the suspension that could cause the toe and camber to both move within a couple days of an alignment? The shop did say everything was tight. This is a nightmare and I don't get pushed around by car shops(I expect things done right) but I always try to be fair(I always give them a non confrontational chance to fix things or give an explanation of what happened).

Thanks,
Jesse

howardc64
08-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Perhaps start the diagnostic at toe angle as its easier. A few questions + comments

I presume you only know the toe angle changed based on shop's measurement print out? You can actually check toe easily at home. Basically park the car pointed straight, run 2 parallel strings along the side of the car at wheel center height (center pieces of 2x4x8 in front + rear of car, measure set length from center to attach the strings). Measure front+rear off front wheel edge and do trigonometry for the angle. Lots of info online on how to do this. Very easy to do.

There are only 3 things that govern toe angle

1. Steering rack + tie rods. Jack up the car and wiggle the front tires at 9 and 3 o'clock. Confirm the 2 tie rod ball joints are tight and rack has no play (note the rack will move between the steering wheel locks. What you don't want is movement while the steering wheel doesn't move)

2. Confirm the strut tower and ball joint has no movement. Wiggle the front tires at 12 and 6 o'clock, should be absolutely tight.

If these are tight, your toe angle can't change. If not, it will wander.