PDA

View Full Version : 05 XC70 Need new turbo - New Chinese $299 on Ebay

fortworthmatt
07-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Ok, so I know what you purist are going to say, but the bearings are going out on my 05 XC70 with 115k and I am going to have to replace the turbo soon as it is getting worse. I was just looking at Ebay and saw a new 14T turbo for $299 (Chinese) or could buy used one in the same ballpark. Any ideas here on the most cost effective way to replace or rebuild my turbo and is this a job a good shade tree mechanic can do? Thanks in advance.

Iroll_
07-30-2015, 02:35 PM
I would go with a used turbo from Errie Volvo as to has a lifetime warranty.
Having just taken the turbo out my xc' a few weeks ago, I recommend an extra set of hands,
Replace all brass washers,banjo bolts, and associated turbo oil
Return gaskets...ask me how I know this:)
I would say the job is very doable for a shade tree mechanic ( within a weekend taking your time).
Plan on having the car down for a weekend and get the ancillary parts ahead of time.
I ended up needing the help of a family friend that's a mechanic because I had no idea what I was doing:)

fortworthmatt
07-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Would it be better and easier to get a used one with all the hard lines already attached such as this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Volvo-C60-30650634-Turbo-Supercharger-57K-2-5L-/181694325502?fits=Year%3A2005|Make%3AVolvo|Model%3 AXC70&hash=item2a4dd362fe&vxp=mtr

Iroll_
07-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Hardliner aren't necessary, just the turbo will do.
I have to underscore the importance of replacing the brass washers at the least...If your budget allows for it, replace the banjo bolts...I believe we have three banjo bolts.
Two for cooling and one for oil ( input)...Also get the turbo return line gaskets...
Don't do what I did- I put everything together but had a collant leak at one of the brass fittings ( I didn't replace them at the time)...
I also broke one of my banjo bolts from over torquing the bolt...I later found out that the banjo bolts are designed to "stretch"; which means they' didn't take to liking the tightning and removal-until they it finally broke...Not fun.
I will stick to fluid changes from now on:)